PDA

View Full Version : discus and lighting

kahunabill
04-21-2005, 02:11 AM
do discus prefer a specific light color?
e.g. 6700K, 10000K, 5500K?

and, is there an optimal light duration?
e.g. 10 hours a day?

dishpanhands
04-21-2005, 03:49 AM
the fish don't care what the "K" value of a bulb, but you should care. the higher the K number the more blue the light. this can change the way your fish look. much like changing the contrast on your TV changing the color of bulb will make your fishes look different. now as far as wattage. they don't like it too bright.

Cosmo
04-21-2005, 06:35 AM
I use 50/50's and am very happy with the light, not too bright but plenty to show off the colors of the fish. Put your lights on timers so they come on and go off at the same time each day, sets a routine that the fish will learn.. lights on means food within the hour (after wakeup time), lights off before I go to bed means sleep time for them :) I keep a smaller light on a timer in the room to come on just before the lights go on in the morning and then again just before they go off at night, helps ease the transition and reduce the stress of sudden daylight or darkness

Jim

Howie_W
04-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi Kahuna,

Light color selection shoud be based upon what your goal is for your tank.

If you are using lights for plant growth, than you would interetsed to a combination of higher color index bulbs. If you are keeping unplanted tanks, than lower spectrum is the way to go to help reduce the growth of algae.

Howie

dishpanhands
04-21-2005, 07:46 AM
blue bulbs grow less algae then white bulbs..aleast in my reef tank i am sure of this. i'm with cosmo 50/50 bulbs make fish look good.

GulfCoastDiscus
04-21-2005, 08:34 AM
If you're not growing plants then go with the cheapest.:)

jimmyhat
04-23-2005, 08:45 PM
My fish like low light.