PDA

View Full Version : how do i get them to get along

jimmyhat
04-26-2005, 09:21 PM
I have only 2 discus in the tank its 65galls. I have a larger more robust male that eats like its never going out of style...
The younger one almost stunted but not she i think is filling out now but the as soon as the food hits the tank the bigger one gets all feeding frenZy like and bullies the young one around by nipping pecking pushing you name it. It lasts long after the feed also then goes away. Do i have to seperate them on feeds?
I hate this should have purchased 6 all at once...

Greg Richardson
04-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Jim. Try putting food in when the big guy is on one side of the tank where he sees it and goes after it. While he is eating, and your little guy is on other side, put food in for him there.

I have to do that now and then and I have 7 in a tank but one of them even though same age is about a 1/3 at least bigger than the rest so sometimes have to make sure everyone gets some as he is relentless in obtaining his food.

NatakuTseng
04-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Well, three things I'd suggest. This works with the larger central american cichlids. You remove the fish from the tank for about 20-30mins. Put the submissive fish back in the tank first, give it about 15mins, then introduce the next fish. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. The second, put food on one side of the tank to get the dominant fish's attention, then put food on the opposite side, this creates two feeding areas, and the little one should be able to get something to eat. The thirid thing that will deffinately work.... put a divider in there.

jimmyhat
04-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, three things I'd suggest. This works with the larger central american cichlids. You remove the fish from the tank for about 20-30mins. Put the submissive fish back in the tank first, give it about 15mins, then introduce the next fish. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. The second, put food on one side of the tank to get the dominant fish's attention, then put food on the opposite side, this creates two feeding areas, and the little one should be able to get something to eat. The thirid thing that will deffinately work.... put a divider in there.

Yep gonna remove the bully and let the youngin eat first otherwise the big one just chases and eats looks around chases and eats looks around and it gets worse by every lookaround. Last night the bullies even eating the pleco tabs and the funny thing 'the pig' was already packed full? He was listed as being fat bloated and just a pig... Wanted to pull him out and punch him :D At this rate he will be full grown in a month.. Whats really pissin me off is after all that sickness they are great but i noted a little white dot on the tail of the little one, then next day upper fin, then today the lower back fin being chewed on.. 5 mins ago the left fin has a chew mark out of it? I was worried about ich again but i think its from the bully chewing into the little one... I have a hospital tank set up for more but only thing left is plexiglass divider at this point till more go in which will be at least a month after getting them...