PDA

View Full Version : Depressed, want more Discus

tdr1919
04-27-2005, 02:17 PM
What to do, what to do, I tore down my 36 gal to give to my brother-in-law with aspirations of setting up a 55 gal. My 72 bow is at capacity, 4 adults and
3 juvies and 2 adult angles.
I wanted to try my hand at breeding, I had success with the angels in the 36 gal. (got tired of them and sent them to the LFS in exchange for supplies)
NOW, the wife won't let me set up another tank, I knew I should have never taken down the 36! - And lately there have been some beautiful fish around, what to do, what to do, ponder, ponder....
Tom R

sidra
04-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Tom,

I understand your troubles....and can totally relate.

I have two 29 gal tanks of discus a a 10 gal of ancient tetras. Just moved the babies I bought to a 29 gal and in a couple months they're gonna need a 55 gal. PLUS my Cobalt just laid her first batch of eggs this morning telling me that she and her Snakeskin boyfriend are ready for their own room.

However, my landlord is already not happy with my three small tanks.

Is there a Dr. Phil of the discus world to help us poor discus-addicts have more understanding spouses, landlords, etc?

Kristen

tpl*co
04-27-2005, 02:54 PM
LOL, my DH had a small flip out when I told him he needed to make a pick up of another tank at the pet store (was cleaning like a mad woman though so he'd feel a little better about it and promised to unload a few unused smaller tanks hmmm, just the 10, a 5, a 40 plexi since I've got a new one, and the 20 long :)). Trying to figure where I'll have the room to put the 30 gallon where I'm putting the new 60 gallon (though I may be able to put the 30 or 40 gallon in the stand underneath). I have a pair waiting for their own place some more that may pair off too and juvies that are growing out.

GulfCoastDiscus
04-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi Tom,
I have some pairs and sub-adult available.lol

Clearing some tanks for new arrivals.

dan

Don_Lee
04-27-2005, 03:42 PM
One of my biggest hurdles has been my significant other, looking at me like I am crazy and a sociopath to boot, when I say I want a bigger/another tank and/or various fish related items like filters, expensive discus, etc.... Negotiation skills need to be honed....but what do I know, I have been married more than once, lol!;)

Don

tpl*co
04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Or the implication that I'm crazy for driving hours in the rain to pick up new discus :)

tdr1919
04-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Don, I'm with you - It's my second also, cant afford to mess this one up also!

Dan, I'd LOVE to buy more Discus from you, thats the problem, she tells me to put the tanks in my Vette! hmmm - I wonder how that would look.

Kristen, maybe we should take over that guy in Shirley's hatchery and we could keep our Discus there!

Tom

Howie_W
04-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Tom,

I think you should change the title of your thread to;

Excited! Want more Discus!

Remember, where there's a will, there's a way. I was in your shoes once...wives are good, they keep you in line, and stop you from turning your whole house into an aquarium...at least temporarily. :D

My best advice is be extra nice to your better half and one day you may find she's helping you build your new fishroom! :bounce:

Howie

Howie_W
04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
One of my biggest hurdles has been my significant other, looking at me like I am crazy and a sociopath to boot, when I say I want a bigger/another tank and/or various fish related items like filters, expensive discus, etc.... Negotiation skills need to be honed....but what do I know, I have been married more than once, lol!;)

Don

Don...it sounds like she knows you...http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/515.gif

Just remember...take two steps back...and five tanks forward! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/849.gif

Howie

sidra
04-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Sounds good Tom, but I think he's trying to get fish out of his garage, not put people into it and I'm afraid between my landlord and your wife that's where we'd end up...LOL.

I guess I need to take note here and add a new prerequisite to future relationships...man must have an understanding of love for discus and a toleration for many many tanks. Forget the ring, just give me a fish room!!!!! Ha Ha.

Kristen :D

By the way, have you gone to see Gil yet?

Don_Lee
04-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Fishkeeping does not always equate to sanity....lol. And yes Howie, my wife knows me well.....;)
Tom-I am further along than my second, although I am confident that this relationship will be forever.:balloon: Fishkeeping/aquaria did not play a significant role in previous relationship failures though, I must admit.:)

Don

tdr1919
04-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Kristen,
I spoke with Gil on the phone, I want to go over so bad....but what is the use, my tank is at capacity now, I do not want to waste the guys time.
Now if I could set up the 55 (I know a whole setup including wooden stand for 100 bucks!) I would even consider buying a pair from him.
Now I'm getting depressed again.
Tom

sidra
04-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Tom,

Things are looking up for me. Had a talk with the landlord. As long as I pay the increase in electricity he doesn't care if I add tanks. :D :D :D :D :D My cottage is not so big though :(

So, my Cobalt x BSS pair will be getting their own room after all and the babies can have their 75 or 90 gal to grow nice and big in and meet their matches. Now I just gotta dig up some cash for tanks, stands, lighting etc. This could be dangerous.

I'll be stopping by to see Gil tomorrow morning actually. Always like going there and I'll be sorry once he retires.

Ya gotta find a way to get a tank for one of those pairs. They are so nice.

Kristen

jimmyhat
04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
im gonna buy more tomorrow and then do the shipping in of more Im hooked on the fish again