PDA

View Full Version : If you were to breed other than discus...what would you work with?

brewmaster15
05-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi all,
Since I have a few tanks open and have been playing around with some other fish species I was wondering what you all would breed if you had the chance or are breeding besides discus? Theres so many cool fish out there, I am sure a bunch of you have cheated on your Discus... I admit it... I have. :D

so fess up everyone, lets hear whose working with what, who knows you might find a taker for those non-discus fishes! :D

-al

ShinShin
05-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I've bred many species of fish from livebearers, to bettas, to cichlids of many species, but my favorites other than discus were always apistogrammas and other dwarf cichlids, both from South America and West Africa. If I were to ever get rid of discus, perhaps I would give Killies a shot. I would also consider several catfish species.

DarkDiscus
05-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I had a load of fun with the shell dwellers from Lake Taganyika. They are attractive, fiesty and incredibly cool to watch. Plus you can raise them in small tanks and/or raise a ton of them in a large tank.

I think that some of the mbunas are also a blast. Raising breeding colonies of a ton of fish makes for a challenge and an easy way to sell off excess fish to offset costs.

For a gorgeous, large, interesting fish, there are always nicaraguan cichlids - not common and they would be awesome if fed discus quality foods.

Really, there are tons of cool cichlids that would be a blast to breed.

John

Discusgeo2
05-03-2005, 02:30 PM
I have found the DD Black Angels tough to raise. I can never get enough for the Pet stores and they have always helped pay for the Discus. Since you also have some ties to exporters of wild fish a nice colony of L-46 Zebra Plecos would be nice to have. If you get them to spawn they too would help pay for your Discus and anything the wife would want for her house.
George

kaceyo
05-03-2005, 02:39 PM
I asked myself that very question recently. In the past I've bred livebearers and dwarf cichlids like many of us have. With livebearers I thought they might be a good source of live food for my other fish but it never quite worked out that way. I'd like to try either Egyptian Mouthbreeders or some of the African Rift Lake Cichlids.

sidra
05-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Apistogrammas.....my German Blue Ram pair spawn on a regular basis. They are in a community tank so they eat their eggs. I want to focus on my discus so I just let them be.

But they are so fun to watch. They have such personality, especially when they are spawning. I swear my female is a nagging wife and the male is just a big slacker. When he watches the eggs he gets distracted and wanders away...that is, when he's not sneaking a snack of eggs here and there. As soon as the female notices this, she zooms over there, beats on him a little bit and then takes care of the eggs herself for a while. With those two and my newly formed discus pair just started spawning last week, who needs television?!?!

Kristen

funkyfish
05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
i have a colony of yellow labs.they are realy fun fish to watch and i'm working on some orange crowned panda kio blusher angels.

Doug A
05-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I would have to say Apistogrammas and other dwarf chiclids, Angelfish. I would also like to try and get cardinals to breed again. It was really cool watching them scatter the eggs all over the java moss. Right now I am growing out my discus and hope to get them to breed. Don't have much room for anything else at this time. :(

Doug

jdellman
05-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I have never tried it and do not know how difficult it would be, but I always thought that breeding Plecos would be fun. I think they look great when they get big.

aggie_67
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Albino Bristlenoses plecos!!!

Tad
05-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Well I have considered dabbling with some other cichlids ....I would love to be able to breed my Altums..and might even consider breeding some domestic angels like the pearl scales, koi and blacks :)

Tad

jimmyhat
05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
zebra plec0s only i would start a farm...

oh and for the fun of it african dwarf frogs cuz they easy to get humping

Jason
05-04-2005, 01:17 AM
guppies, nice to results of crossings in months, not years.

mench
05-04-2005, 07:15 AM
DALLAS COWBOY CHEERLEADERS !!!!!!!! Oh ya are talking about fish...LOL
Well I got discus and bushynose plecos to breed..I think it would be Arowanas..I have a few of them,don't know a thing about breeding them,but I think I will do a little research on them.
Mench

korbi_doc
05-04-2005, 08:02 AM
:wave: Well, did the many different livebearers years ago when my kids were kids, but now think I'd like to try the DD angels (didn't want to hear that George, lol) & yellow electric cichlids. Have 3 yellows now, they do mostly hide but are healthy & vigorous. Those shelldwellers sound like fun, may try them someday too!!! The one saltwater fish I'd love to try is the maroon clown, neat fish, would be fun to attempt that one too.... Dottie :juggle: :juggle:

Spices
05-04-2005, 08:59 AM
:D Menchy, LOL... Yes fish we're discussing. DCC. LOL

Dottie, me too, I like those maroon clownfish too. They are mighty little fish with spines!! I had no clue until I put my finger in their tank. :ouch:

Congrats again Kristen, new fish mommie. ;)

I would love to breed those koi angels I have. They really are nice looking. Also the pearl/golden angel. Looking for a few of them; I have one, but it is really coloring up very nicely. In all, koi angels and maroon clownfish.

*Angie*

jim_shedden
05-04-2005, 09:03 AM
dogs

scotz
05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I would like to try Altum's, some of the rarier killies, and maybe some of the small saltwater angelfish. I have breed almost all other common fish species, and a few not so common. I like a challenge ! Since my wife and I have just bought a small farm last year we have bred some exotic chickens - just had some hatch out last week - keeps me busy !

scotz

Discusgeo2
05-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Dottie you may want to start reading the Clown Fish Forum over at Reef Central. I have a friend here in Phoenix that raises them and sells them wholesale only. He keeps the local pet stores stocked with the little guy's. He makes it sound easy and thinks Discus are hard to breed.
George

Clownfish Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36)

JeffreyRichard
05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
1) Corydoras (any ... but particularly Sterbai & Adolphi as they do well in Discus conditions) ... they help manage the tank!
2) Ancistrus (reg or albino) ... great maintenance workers!
3) Apistagrammus ... Agasizzi, Caucatodes, Borelli
4) Rams ... easy and live with discus
5) Bettas ... nice, can live with discus (I hang multiple cups for males in each tank) and they can bring in $$$ (check out aquabid)
6) Gouramis ... dwarfs, honey, pearls
7) Chocolate Gouramis ... a challenge, but do well in extremely soft acid water
8) Licorice Gouramis ... ditto

Moon
05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
I was able to breed most of the African and Central American chiclids in my years of fish keeping. I think the challenge is in breeding cat fishes. I did have a colony of Synodontis Angelicus for a few years in a 125 and tried all kinds of tricks to get them to breed with no luck. I was told that they had been bred with hormone injections.
Presently I am working with Synodontis Petricola and Multipunctatus with some degree of success. I would like to breed Synodontis Granulosis. Then I can retire and be a full time hobbiest.

John_Nicholson
05-04-2005, 11:40 AM
currently we also breed:
Angels
show quality bettas (half moons, crowns, and of course deltas)
killifish (mainly nothos but other types to)
I striped a electric yellow last night. 6 fry.
A few rams on occasion.

Brew if it was me I would move either to show bettas of killifish they are cool. If you want some nothos I have some for you. just pay the shipping.

-john

dishpanhands
05-04-2005, 02:52 PM
something about fish that are not legal in some states ...lol
http://www.glofish.com/ ;)
check them out...lol

CARY_GLdiscus
05-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I have had fun with many!

But still love Thoses Kribs!

chirohorn
05-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Definitely asian arowanas. Difficult, but very rewarding (financially) if it happened!

CARY_GLdiscus
05-04-2005, 11:06 PM
O and Rams To they are fun

fishfarm
05-05-2005, 08:02 AM
I don't know how many fish species I've breed over the year, probably in excess of 300-400. I've kept most of the rift lake species at one time or another, moved on to Central and South American cichlids, Now I'm playing with Apistos and Dwarf west African cichlids, They all seem pretty easy to breed. I have always kept a lot of wild type livebearers, I find rare or endangered fish a challege and rewarding when you have some fry to pass around. As far as money fish go. Angels, you can not raise enough of them and now that prices are up, they are worth while. My goal as a breeder: Heckels and Altum Angels. :) Ken

zoids
05-05-2005, 10:29 AM
For me it has to be wild altum angels. That's something i dream of doing.

henryD
05-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Arowanas. But that would require some big big ponds or tanks.

Clown loaches. When they get big they are awesome. (14inch or bigger).

Rays would be fun too. But another big tank requirement.

Thought about getting it show bettas, fronts, and kois.

Henry

oodi
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Since the only other fish we have are angels, I guess it would be those. Either that, or our birds.

Judi
:)

JimmyL
05-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Altum. Still working on the technique.... unsuccessful so far but getting close.
Jimmy.

JeffreyRichard
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Diamondback Terrapins !

tdr1919
05-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah,
I bred the Koi Angels, (I couldnt get my Discus to pair) they were fun to watch, and I was able to remove the eggs and got the to hatch. It is difficult to devote the time needed to care for the little ones, so I only grew out one batch.

NatakuTseng
05-05-2005, 07:44 PM
German Blue Rams, Endler's Livebearers ( toughy I know, lol), Albino ancistrus, Pygmy cories, Sterbai cories, and I'd like to do Royal Farlowella at some point.

brewmaster15
05-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, and John thanks for the offer...may take you up on it. :)

Here a few pics of what I am working with now ..

Oscars...meet max and emmy....

brewmaster15
05-07-2005, 10:43 AM

brewmaster15
05-07-2005, 10:46 AM
These are the Threadfins I am working with... I just moved 20 out to their own 125. They have not been bred much in captivity.

Acara heckelii ( must be the name that got me hooked)

-al

brewmaster15
05-07-2005, 10:48 AM
They really are a beautiful geo!

-al

NatakuTseng
05-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Those oscars are gorgeous Al. When ya get some little ones out of them make sure you post some pics!