PDA

View Full Version : Best Heater

Doug A
05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
I have seen this question asked many times on the forum and decided to do a poll.

What is the best heater? Please post with why you like your favorite heater.

I did not include old style Ebo Jagers because they are no longer available. IMO these were the best heaters. I have one that has been working flawlessly for about 10 years now.
If you like a heater that is not in the list let me know and I will add it.
Doug

Martin
05-04-2005, 08:21 AM
I like my ViaAqua a lot, mostly because of the external temperature control. Had some jäger before, but they all got condensation in them after a while.

My first post btw.
Hi all :wave:

fishfarm
05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
I like the titainium heaters for my breeders, cost more, but they don't break and keep the temp more even. I've used Rena Cal submersible heaters for several years in all my grow out tank as I can get a 250 watt for $12 and have not had one stick yet. I lost about half a tank of Blue Diamond fry yesterday because I used a Tronic heater I won at a fish club meeting, it stuck and fried them and it was brand new! Just because it's free doesn't mean you should use it. The old Jagers were good, but they do get moisture in then after a few years of use. Ken

troyclark
05-04-2005, 08:32 AM
At current I have Won Bros Titaniums and the older Ebo's only. I think the older Ebo's were the best heater available. I really like the Won Bros. I have 6 350's and 3 500's and they hold the temp very steady. I have only had one 350 that burned out quickly but Won Bros replaced it with a new one. The only thing I don't like about the Won Bros is that the selector dial is way to easy to change if you bump it. I wish they would have a clicking dial that wasn't so sensitive.

oodi
05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi Martin... Welcome to Simply!!

We've had good luck with the Visitherms, and more recently the Visitherm Stealths.

Judi
:)

Jeff
05-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I think unless you have owned and used that heater for at least 1 year your input doesn't matter. I would actually expect a heater to last several years, but it really doesn't look like anyone is making any that do. They are all crap.

Discusgeo2
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I agree with Jeff most of them are garbage and recently have swithed over to Jali's Titanium's.

kaceyo
05-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I've been using the titanium heaters lately and havn't had any problems yet. It's only been 10 months since I started using titaniums but I voted anyways ;). I like the ViaAquas's over the Wons only because of the dial problem that Troyclark mentioned. I ended up tapeing the dial to keep it from moving. I tried a Theo and it stuck on within 2 weeks. They did replace it no problem. I use the new one in my storage barrel for extra quick heatups when needed along with the titanium thats allways on.

funkyfish
05-04-2005, 02:29 PM
it was a toss up won bros heater's have been good to me and i also like my visa-therm stealth heater's to imo they are both reliable heater's never had a prob out of ether

Carol_Roberts
05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I used to love the Won brother - but mine have been dying after about 18 months . . .

mattm025
05-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I had a Tronic that lasted a good two and a half years and just recently died on me. It was good, temperature steady heater.

allan_mark76
05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
visa-therm stealth heater's all the way.

If you can get the old school green EBO's. They are the BEST ! ! !

Elcid
05-04-2005, 04:42 PM
visa-therm stealth heater's all the way.

If you can get the old school green EBO's. They are the BEST ! ! !

Do the stealth's have an indicator light for when it turns on?

thanks,
Sandeep

Glenn
05-04-2005, 07:12 PM
There is no light on the stealths to show they are on

jimmyhat
05-04-2005, 09:21 PM
mine is the best out on the market and im pretty sure non of you have one. Radiant silica sticks is the new wave of the future

Doug A
05-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks to all who voted and posted their opinons!!
It looks like Won brothers is the winner of the poll. I agree that most heaters today aren't built to last. If only we could bring back the old style Ebo's :undecided
I am currently using a brand new Hydor heater and I am not very happy with it. Maybe I should hunt around to find old ebo's at mom and pop fish stores. Maybe I'll get lucky. :spit:

Doug

gators111
05-09-2005, 01:52 PM
I have a via-aqua titanium and I love the external temp control. I also like the fact of being able to put the temp sensor seperate from the heater element.

tpl*co
05-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, I have a Won titanium heater going for quite a while now and it works well and I'm happy with it (except for the times my female tried to lay eggs on it). I'm trying the new stealth heaters too. I haven't been too impressed with the few Hydor items I've gotten but the Hydor heater I'm using in a smaller tank is still working well. In my tanks I must have at least 4 different brands.