PDA

View Full Version : Hosptial/QT tank question

jdellman
05-05-2005, 10:16 PM
How do you keep a hospital tank/qt tank seeded? I just set one up when needed, and insert a sponge (from the filter, not a hydro sponge) from the existing tank into the hospital tank. Is this sufficient? Any better options?

Thanks,

Jim

Alight
05-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Have an extra hydrosponge going in your main tank, and put it in your quaranteen tank. Alternatively, have another HOB filter (small one) that you put an extra sponge that you normally keep in your HOB filter into when you need to use the tank.

Another, but harder way is to keep a filter seeded in a bucket to which you add ammonia on a regular basis to keep the filter bacteria alive.

One final way is to find out if you have a local source of BioSpira that is kept fresh, and buy a bag of this when you need it to seed your quaranteen tank filter when you need it.

The first is probably the best, and the last is the most expensive.

CARY_GLdiscus
05-05-2005, 11:02 PM
A pinch of flake every week!

JimmyL
05-06-2005, 08:51 AM
You don't have to cycle or seed the sponge in the hospital tank. Any medication or antibiotic will kill what you have seeded in the filter. Frequent 100% water change will keep the parameters stable. So use a small tank to save the amount of medication needed and also allow to do 100% W/C within a few minutes. I leave my hospital tank empty most of the time. Only fill it with the tank water when needed.
Jimmy

jdellman
05-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks all,

Jimmy- Is that right? So how do the fish survive without the beneficial bacteria? I have read many posts here about bad experiences due to either a drop in the bacteria level, or mistakenly killing the bacteria in the main tank, etc. If there is no bacteria in the hospital tank, won't the fish die or be adversely affected b/c of the lack of bacteria?

You don't have to explain the technical details behind it, but what about a thumbnail explanation?

Thanks,

Jim

JimmyL
05-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Ask yourself why do you need seeded filter?? In what condition you need beneficial bacteria. How much ammonia, nitrous and nitrite produced by a sick fish with no excretion and do not eat? You may find your answer just by anwering yourself these questions. If you still have any doubt. Ask yourself which beneficial bacteria will survive the onslaught of any antibiotic. We are talking about hospital tank, not QT or community tank. That's an entirely different ballgame. QT tank is not a hospital tank. One for long term use for more than 4 weeks and the other is for short term use for a few days only. Which one you do want to talk about???
Jimmy

jdellman
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Jimmy- Thanks for the reply, you pretty much answered the question about the hospital tank. I guess it make sense, since the fish are not producing the waste. Is the same true when you treat with the Metro, when the fish are in there about 10 days?

Carol_Roberts
05-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Fish that are not eating still produce some ammonia - through their gills. Daily water changes keep the ammonia levels in check. Test the water before and after a water change. You want to make sure ammonia levels are at zero. The water needs to be stirred to add oxygen. IF you do not have a filter on the tank an airstone would be a good way to keep oxygen in the water.