PDA

View Full Version : i have a great breeding pair

poppy
05-08-2005, 02:57 AM
have had 2 fish pair up in my community tank, they spawned 5 times in 2 weeks, but ate the eggs overnight as they turned to wrigglers as the other fish were having a peck too....

I bought a breeding tank (yes completely addicted) a all in one 90 litre AQUA 1. I put a breeding cone in, transferred 80% water and topped up with purified water (have had a seagull 4 water purifyer installed) for the benefit of the fish LOL It is similar to pura tap, but a better quality product as it PURIFIES the water rather than FILTER it. The minerals and trace elements remain in the water but chlorine and impurities are removed.

I added media and a sponge from one of my filters in the main aquarium with the new rinsed media. I cycled the tank for 2 hours and waited until the temperature was up to 30c.

I scooped up the breeding pair, even got them in 1 scoop together, they did graze a bit but I apologised to them.

They settled in a fter a few hours and ate their dinner and seemed very happy. Now i watched and waited in anticipation.

Exactly 48 hours later they spawned YAY, thier biggest batch yet 180 approx, on the cone and front and centre.

That was last night, all eggs look a nice fawn colour and this morning only 2 have turned white.. So I am very pleased with the transfer and the spawn being so far good.

Now I will wait to see if they can get them past wriggler stage.

Ill, keep you posted

poppy :o

poppy
05-08-2005, 03:00 AM
PS

the two fish are from different sources but very similar markings.......... can anyone advise on what strain they are from this pic

Thanks

jamie sutherland
05-08-2005, 09:20 AM
blue turks or brilliant blues possibly

Greg Richardson
05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Congrats! Must be a great feeling to see that happen.

Carol_Roberts
05-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

Willie
05-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Congratulations. Looks like you have a definite pair.

The pattern of the spawn is pretty scattered so I'm not optimistic. Give them a little time to settle in and the next spawn should be better. You're looking for a compact, densely packed spawn.

They look like Red Turqs to me.

Willie

poppy
05-08-2005, 04:26 PM
bummer..........

woke this morning to the eggs all gone........

maybe they do need time to settle.......

i'll await the next lot

thanks 4 the advice

Spices
05-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Hey Poppy!! :wave:

Sorry to hear this. But the good thing is that you can most certainly see another performance from the same pair. Lucky for you that is. ;)

They look like a cross between either red turqs or blue turqs (ss). We need to see more pictures to be certain.

*A*

poppy
05-10-2005, 03:41 AM
thanks

will get some new pics soon

poppy
05-13-2005, 03:00 AM
this is my pair on their 7th attempt........2nd in separate tank

any ideas on strain now the pic is better

they ate the eggs this am...... ;) ah wellllllllll

cheers

poppy