PDA

View Full Version : bristlenose plecos

Giniel
05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi, everyone seems to have a bristlenose pleco or has had one at one time. I am wondering how big can they get??? Regular plecos get quite big with all the water changes.

I have a regular LFS pleco and he is very big ,I got him at about 2" long and he is about 7" now and chasing my discus.(he is fixing to find a pond home soon)

Can some one tell me how big the bristlenose get and where to get some ??
My LFS don't have them.
Debbie

Giniel
05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
another pic of him"

Moon
05-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Most of the Ancistrus (bristlenose) variety grow to about 5 inches. The Plecostomus can grow to larger than 12 inches. Plecos are not recommended for discus tanks.

tlum
05-10-2005, 01:27 PM
They are about 4 to 5 inches when mature. Male is a little bit bigger (5+ inches) and female is a little bit smaller (4+ inches). I have one male and 2 females albino BN in my 55 galon show tank. They breed likey cazy, giving me 50+ eggs every two to three weeks. My house is now overflow with baby BNs. LOL. They never create any problems with my discus nor fancy goldfish. Furthermore, it is fun to watch the female dancing around the cave of the male and trying to get in and lay eggs. The male is a very protective father. BN is a fun fish to keep by itself.

Terry

lldewe
05-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Where do you get them?

Lorie

tlum
05-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I got mine from a local hobbyist. In Minnesota, we usually have quite a lot of BNs for sale in our fish aution. You can also find it in www.aquabid.com. Once you get your first mating pair, you will have a lot of babies.

Terry

babyjess210
05-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I got mine from a local hobbyist. In Minnesota, we usually have quite a lot of BNs for sale in our fish aution. You can also find it in www.aquibid.com (http://www.aquibid.com/). Once you get your first mating pair, you will have a lot of babies.

Terry

Terry
Sent you PM!!! The link gave me all kinds of pop ups. LOL
Kenny

tlum
05-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Ooops. It should be www.aquabid.com. Look under catfish. Sorry for the problem. I will reply to your pm in a couple of minutes.

Terry

Giniel
05-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Thak you . My LFS here in Russellville Ar. do not have any..
I will be working on finding some soon.
Thank you
Debbie

alpine
05-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Lori, Imperial Discus in Indianapolis breeds them and sell them. Give them a try.

roberto.

Giniel
05-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Can you put them in a fry tank to help with slime build up???Hoping that the fry wouldn't pick on them.
Debbie

tlum
05-11-2005, 02:10 AM
They don't care whether they are in a fry tank or adult tank. They do great job cleanup the tank.

Terry

KIWI13
05-11-2005, 02:37 AM
I have a pair of the common ancistrus ( bristlenose catfish) and yes indeed they are amazing fish to have. I would rank them as one of the most peaceful fish in any aquarium. My male has a hollow in the wood in my tank and he seldomly moves around. he kinda hangs in there most of the time upside down, minding his own business. Ever so often you will see him on the panes or on the gravel bed. The female is alot more exciting to watch as she is always moving around the tank cleaning and investigating.
i have noticed that the males are more territorial than the females.
I have had these 2 ( almost adult fish) in my tank with baby angels and I have had no problems. Now the angels are no longer babies and they seem to get on well with the BN's.