PDA

View Full Version : shimmy & clean nothing else

tdr1919
05-10-2005, 11:35 PM
I noticed last week my Red Dragon and my marlboro doing the shimmy, and cleaning the filter tube, they have done this a number of times but have not
laid any eggs. both fish are mature adults (4.5 - 5")
Any ideas ?
Tom

Carol_Roberts
05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
They may just be young and not ready to lay yet or may be eating the eggs before you see them

tdr1919
05-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Carol,
After I logged off last nite I went in to witness the my red dragom (2yrs+)
eating eggs off the back glass of the tank. The marlboro (I do not Know the age of this fish) still had the tube extended, (long thin may 1/8" ), I could not see the tube on the RD, but it appears to be wider (female I guess(.
Should I move the to a 29 gal by themselves?

What kind of offspring will they produce? Is it even worth letting them breed,
I think they would produce some pretty ugly children.

Thanks,
Tom

sidra
05-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Congratulations Tom!

I think it must be something in the Long Island water because my cobalt & BSS spawned again last night. There are a few eggs left this morning.

Well, whether you decide to breed them or not, it's fun and interesting to watch their behavior.

Kristen

tdr1919
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Kristen,
Actually I want to try and breed them, you are using a 29 gal, right?
But I think the Marlboro and the RD will produce some very ugly
offspring.
I was hoping the 2 marlboros would breed. If they are siblings (the marlboros)
will they produce good offspring?

Thanks,
Tom

sidra
05-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Tom,
I don't know what a red dragon looks like. Is it like a White dragon but with red instead of an orange-ish color? I'll have to look them up now. Do you have photos of them?

I have no clue what the kids would look like. Maybe someone here does. Maybe just grow out a handful of the fry to see what they look like-then you won't be stuck with a hundred uglies. :confused: :confused: Then again, it'll take a good six months or so to see what they'll look like. Too bad the marlboro's didn't like each other.

Yes, my pair are currently in a 29 gal with one other juvie discus. I'm thinking I could easily get away with a 20 gal as their breeding tank because they are not very big discus. And now that they've started spawning I doubt they'll grow much more. I was pricing tanks last night! The tank is cheap...it's the hood that costs (I have a cat so I must have hoods).

Kristen

Carol_Roberts
05-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Is Red Dragon pigeon based (look for pepper on nose)? IF yes, they will make a fine pair. You can move them to a 29 in preparation for breeding - this may throw them off their breeding cycle for a few weeks. (The Red Dragon may eat the eggs in a 29 gallon tank too)

tdr1919
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes Carol, the Red Dragon is Pepper based, basically red-brown with striations through the body (black)and my marlboro's are like orange sherbert
with lemon noses!

Kristen, I told my wife it was all her fault the discus are eating their eggs, because they need privacy in their own tank(think the guilt trip will work?)

Tom

tdr1919
05-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Here is a photo of the Red Dragon
red_dragon.jpg