PDA

View Full Version : Kitti's Discus.

Northwestcoastdisc
05-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about I should order some nice kitti's discus for imported and sell to anyone.

I will get some nice 3.5 " Blue Diamonds $ 30.00 , 4.5" New red turquoiss $ 55.00. 4.5" SS $ 45.00 and more. The funds are US dollars.

I can not promise the excatly price.

Please let me know if everyone are interested in to get some nice kitti's discus?

As my promise I will sell and send nice grade A to my custmors when I will take photos of them you can see them before I can ship.

The reason is i need to make some money for supportive myself and my kids for living,

thanks
Dunacn

goldengatediscus
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Duncan, I don't want to squash your dreams, but I think that you really need to take a deep breath, sit back, and reflect on what you really want to do to make some money. We all know that you love discus and fish, and that you recently lost your whole hatchery.

However, don't get burned again by importing some cheap fish, and thinking that you can make some quick bucks from doing that. The fish may carry disease, and you are certainly not going to get high quality. If you sell poor quality fish, your reputation will be in the mud before you know it.

Kitti had his heyday. He introduced the Pigeon Blood discus to the world, a great achievement. Is Thai discus at the same standard as discus from other SE Asian countries? I'm sure that other members have comments.

Please think twice, or 3 times before jumping onto the import bandwagon. BTW, I never believe in cheap $$ grade A discus.
Brigitte

Northwestcoastdisc
05-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi Brigitte,

many thank you for your feedback, What I am looking for good or high quailty grade discus I can sell to someone I can make some money for supportive my boys and myself for living.

right now I have no Job. I am helping someone to work as cutting grass, handyman to fix house work as improvement home to make some money isn;t bad so far I am saving up my money for my new restock discus.

I love to buy young discus to take long way to grow make more breed pair to produce fry.

What I am thinking to make some money, What do you recommand I can get imported discus from Singpore or Mayslia or some where have good high quailty grade A discus? I can selection some excellent discus for my breed pairs in the future.

Last late Spring or Early Summer 2004 I had an imported discus from Mr Ting Tawain. I had put all new discus in tank for QT to ready to sell. I would say about 90% discus were GRADE A about 10% were not GRADE A. The 10% grade b- to +C sold to LFS were no problems. but the cost me were really expensive. I was making some money fair so latley better than nothing.

What I had sold Discus to my custmors.

1) Red Diamonds Turquoises
2) Germnay Greens
3) shooting stars
4) Super Melon Reds
5) santreams
6) RSG

all stock were sold but I had keep 9 RSG's and 4 Germany Greens, 6 super melon Reds, 4 Shooting stars and 6 Red Diamonds. They dead. They were really very nice and excellent shape. I will find photos and post up soon.

Duncan

Discusgeo2
05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Duncan you might want to listen to Brigitte. Get your hatchery all nice and clean before you start bringing in any more Discus. I sure don't want to see you get hurt any more. Kitti sends me his price list every 4 months it seems like. I just got his price list last week and I take it they sent the same one to you and many more people on the forums.
George

mench
05-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Listen to what the folks are telling ya Duncan,I also get Kittis price list.Ask around about his fish...send Cary a note and I am sure he will tell you about his shipment that he got from Kitti.

Mench

JimmyL
05-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Sorry to shatter your dream. I've been keeping discus close to 30 years. Yet, I have not seen anyone able to survive on just discus income alone. Never mind become rich. Business may be good at the start then wean off slowly. Most couldn't stay long enough to get back the initial set up cost. On the contrary, most got wipe out within a year with a bad shipment and then use other excuses to disappear from the discus world. Family obligation is the most common one. Only a few that bred their own fish and sell the extra's were able to break even or have a nice dinner for two once in a while if labour cost is waived.
Jimmy

Spices
05-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Very good advice from all here, especially JimmyL's. I don't know anyone who sells tropical fish without having a second income (job). Most LFS owners are outsourced with other work to keep them one check away from being homeless. The cost of living has increased considerably but not the incomes. Also, breeders do well by breeding their own tropical fish ONLY after getting very reliable fish from a very clean and reliable hatchery (breeder). And there ain't very much out there. Beforewarned. You had bad experience recently, don't blow your reputation by trusting a source who is known for other than great discus husbandry.

Just my 1 cent worth.

*A*

RichieE
05-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Duncan if your financial situation were a little better I would say give it a shot. You will not make enough money selling fish. Work in a local aquaurium for a month and you will make more money than you will likely make selling discus in a year. You might be able to get a little side business going that way. Start off small and try to make an agreement with the owner to bring in some fish ocassionally. Spending your savings on live fish from ANYWHERE is a gamble. This is a hobby for many people here because its very hard to make a proffit on discus. The best way to make a million dollars is to start off with 2 million I'm afraid. Being a landscaper/handyman is hard work. Spend that money on your boys. And as for high grade discus there seems to be a lot more sellers of quality than there were in the last few years. Even if you recieve high quality you may find the compition steep. I don't live in Canada and I know of at least four places to get high quality fish there. Good luck to you regardless of which path you take. JMO Rich

raglanroad
05-17-2005, 09:40 AM
maybe try a buy of something like light-weight dry goods that are needed by everyone, and get a low price/dealership/credit line? Just trying : )
Wow, I have never heard such uniform rejection of any seller of anything! ( Kitti). That certainly doesn't look good for a buy, as no one wants his fish!!

Northwestcoastdisc
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for advise me. Everybody dont let me put down again. I am going listen to you and everyone.

I WOULDN'T get order any discus from kitti's discus.

I am keeping looking around and find high grade quailty discus from Singapore or Malaysia others.

thanks for supportive me.

Duncan

RyanH
05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Hang in there Duncan. :thumbsup:

allan_mark76
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Looks like you've made up your mind....

Discusgeo2
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Duncan don't go so far to purchase you Discus. There are many breeders in Canada that you can get some very nice Discus to start out with again.

Start with Barb Newell she is having a sale right now:
Rose Red x Snake Cross - 2" $25 (buy 2 get 1 free)
Rose Red x Snakeskin Cross 3 1/2 - 4" $35
Gold Pigeons - 2" $25
Turqs from my Greens (1 1/2 - 2") $30
Angelfish - quarter size - black veils and standard and marbles $6
Email me: canadadiscus@cogeco.ca or PM me if interested.
;)
Kumlin imported some Discus recently: www.kumlinstropical.com
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=42762
:)
Or try Jason at SUPERIOR DISCUS
e-mail jason@superiordiscus.com or call (807) 251-0758 8)
:o
There is no reason to spend any extra money on Discus right now with so many breeders in your back yard. And the extra money you save on Importing you can spend on your Children.

discus4life
05-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Duncan, Discus is your hobby, family is your life. good luck, what was i thinking when i choose this name. hahahahaa
d4l

brewmaster15
05-18-2005, 04:15 AM
Duncan,

An old discus saying is..
The only way to make money with Discus is to not keep Them or something to that affect.

Theres really not much money in discus..oh sure it looks good at first...They cost this much , sell them for that much....but alls it takes is one bad shipment, one bad order...one water problem and you just lost every dime. Then add in the time, utilities etc.... If you ahve to support your family, then don't try it with discus.

Dry goods may be better.

Get some stock locally as suggested by George... raise them out as a hobby breeder, and use the proceeds to pay for the hobby. FInd another way to support the family.

Its always nice to try to make it work.. but you need to be objective... sometimes hobbys can't be jobs.

good luck,
al

snooze
05-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Some business jokes:

How do you make a small fortune selling discus? Start with a large one.

A discus importer wins the million dollar lottery. A news reporter asks the discus seller what is he now going to do since he’s rich. The discus importer hadn’t really thought about it. He pauses for a moment to reflect on his new wealth and finally says...”I guess I’m going to keep on selling fish until the money is all gone.”

A hobbyist breeder loses money on every discus he sells. So he decides to start a discus importing business instead. When his friend asked why he decided to start up an import business and sell discus on a large scale even though he now loses money on every fish he sells, he states...”Don’t worry, I’m going to make up the losses on volume.”

Jimmy is right. Most sellers never recover their initial investment. Basically you will be working for nothing, just trying to break even on a monthly basis and most likely finding yourself hemorrhaging money. Most discus importers usually don’t last a year in business...and actually, those might be the lucky (smart) ones. Good luck to you Duncan on whatever you do.