PDA

View Full Version : discus water situations in the tank (currents)

jimmyhat
05-16-2005, 05:27 PM
I am runnning an aquaclear 802 and have the bubbler turned out to full creating a mass current of bubbles into one corner of the tank.. Its pretty strong for any current. But i have noted that all the discus pick different times of the day to use this as a child would water and a slide!

Dunno about most of you but this is the first time i have added the current to be so strong in any discus tank And they all love it. When they want to relax they head over to the other side. If anyone is interested in viewing this i can post video of this display!

jeep
05-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I run a HOT Magnum 24/7 and my fish don't mind the current at all...

DarkDiscus
05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I find that my discus will occasionally swim directly against the current from the output of my wet-dry. They seem to enjoy it. When they tire of that sport they go and hang out in the areas with little current.

In a big enough tank discus seem to like a little current.

John

funkyfish
05-18-2005, 11:07 AM
hey jimmy post a video i think that would be kool to watch

jimmyhat
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
cool I will load it somewhere either IIS so the bandwidth doesn't get frozen like some of my other [free] sites LOL

shaunn
05-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Interesting. I have a Fluval 404 and the current forces my fish away from the flow output. I put a piece a drifwood in to diffuse the flow so they are more willing to occupy more of the tank.

korbi_doc
05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
:D :D I don't worry anymore 'bout currents! Found my fish playing in the water flow from the hose when I fill, & the AC filters & airstones create a "shower" they seem to enjoy.. the only thing is they have to work for the food that's caught in the airstream, good exercise..lol, Dottie :juggle:

April
05-19-2005, 02:18 AM
Heh Jimmyhat..got that new 135 gallon tanks set up yet?? : ) Bill tried to sell it to me..but 5 foot is my limit for my shop. no walls left with 6 feet..
Small world..

mikeos
05-19-2005, 01:43 PM
MOst of my tanks are now on a system, so fill slowly, but in those that I fill with a hose I will often find the fish dart over & just sit in the fast flow ( 1/2" hose at full bore off a 1200gal pump) & some look fairly peeved when it goes off.... thus dies discus myth 993888777, part d, subsection 5d, para76, "discus hate strong current"

jimmyhat
05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Heh Jimmyhat..got that new 135 gallon tanks set up yet?? : ) Bill tried to sell it to me..but 5 foot is my limit for my shop. no walls left with 6 feet..
Small world..

its actually 6.75 feet long... meaning more discus aka curiperas... gonna buy them all unless you call me Bill got me hooked on these dayum fish and now im totally %46cked... Im selling my organs for more... :o