PDA

View Full Version : Fry suddenly stoped eating, need advice

kaceyo
05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
I knew things were going too good. This morning when I went to feed the fry they were not too interested. A few barely picked at it but thats it. They look fine and I could see nothing different or sickly about them except they were less active. There are 22 in a 10gal and I do 50% w/c's twice a day. They have a Hydro 5 and there is ZERO ammo, pH is 6.8. I put a new 50W titanium heater and a new glass lid on the tank yesterday. The other fish tanks that got the same w/c water are fine. I need to fix this quick if pssible before they get visibly sick so would appreciate quick responces. I'm thinking of salt first but maybe Epsom salt would be a better first choice? Please let me know what you experienced breeders do first when this happens (and 2nd or 3rd for that matter). Thank you very much for your help.

Kacey

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-17-2005, 09:35 AM
What is the temp at?? When was the last time you cleaned the filter? For me, fry slow down on their eating if the temp is low or a filter is dirty. If the above are fine, try doing an extra w/c or two. How old are the fry? A 10 gallon tank sounds very small for fry. 50% w/c's on a 10 gallon tank twice a day is not enough. Either move them to a larger tank, or increase the w/c's

-Ryan

JimmyL
05-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Quickly dose 1cc per 10 gal formalin. increase areation and 100% W/C after 4 hours and repeat. Mr. Fluke is having a party. How old are the fry? Usually happen after 3 weeks. Sudden death syndrome. Soon they will gether in a little black ball if you don't take care of them quickly.
Jimmy.

kaceyo
05-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Ryan,
temp is 86F and filter was squeezed day before yesterday. Almost nothing came out. There are only 20 fry in there. They didn't low down on eating, they went frm ravenous last night to not eating at all this morning. The first thing I did this morning was do a w/c and I will increase w'c's. Now, 4hrs later they are hiding much more too. What do you think of Jimmy's idea on treating with formalin?

Jimmy,
They are 6 weeks today. How much is 1cc in drops? I have no way to measure cc's.

I'm real worried that I'm gonna lose them. I'm going to do another w/c now and clean the filter but this hit so hard and fast I have a hard time with it being from w/c and filter problems. The Hydro 5 is over ten times the size needed, though I realize that doesn't mean fewer w/c, just very well mechanicaly filtered and there has never been even a trace of ammo as it was well cycled from the start.
Enough, I'm going on and on as if that in itself will help,lol.

Kacey

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Ok, yes, go with Jimmy's suggestion with the formalin. 1cc = approx 20 drops....2 drops per gallon. Make sure there is plenty of aeration in the tank.

-Ryan

shamsoo
05-17-2005, 01:57 PM
1cc is 20 drops which means 2 drops per gallon

kaceyo
05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
OK, sorry, I didn't realize that was the usual recommended dose.

kaceyo
05-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I treated them 4hrs ago and they'r already doing much better. Amazing! Thanks guys for the help.

Kacey

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
:D ;)

RichieE
05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
"Mr fluke is having a party" Toooooo funny!

JimmyL
05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Drops can vary in sizes depending on the size of the opening. Go to the drug store and get a disposable syringe for a few cents each. I personaly like to use PP rather than Formalin. It works instantly and I'm able to control and revese instantly with a syringe loaded with H2O2. Don;t like the smell of formalin either.
Jimmy