PDA

View Full Version : LOW COST WILDS

raglanroad
05-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Sorry for the title, this is a question, not an offer !!
What is the lowest price that you have heard wilds or f 1 go for in Canada or The U.S. ?

RyanH
05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm sure somebody out there would be more than willing to sell you junk for next to nothing. Good quality fish will usually START at 40-50 apiece.

You get what you pay for almost without exception.

hth
-Ryan

raglanroad
05-17-2005, 11:16 AM
sometimes you pay too much, too. Oliver's Altums sometimes go for $25 each, sometimes for about half that, for a larger fish !

RyanH
05-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Give Al a call (Brewmaster15). He's the owner of this site and a helluva nice guy. He also has wilds for sale. You won't go wrong with his fish or service. :)

These are some browns that I got from him in November. They have been fantastic fish to own. :D

hth
-Ryan

raglanroad
05-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Ryan.
I am currently just going about researching , then setting up. Al's wilds seem hard to beat for sure. Plus, I'm in Canada. No doubt it would be worth importing from Al. I never go for low quality, anyway.
By the way, have any of you guys played with photoperiod/temp to induce wilds?
Your fish look great, couldn't be healthier.
Dave

RyanH
05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
I am currently just going about researching , then setting up. Al's wilds seem hard to beat for sure. Plus, I'm in Canada. No doubt it would be worth importing from Al.

If you have questions or are still going through the education process, I would still contact Al. He is a wealth of knowledge and can help you figure out what is best for your needs and your setup.

I assume you mean to induce spawning? I haven't started messing with my wilds yet. They are still pretty young. For domestics, a cold blast of RO water along with some live blackworms will almost always get my fish to spawn.

hth
-Ryan

Northwestcoastdisc
05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi raglanroad,

I agree with Ryan's comments. I have been see wild discus in LFS they are not GREAT shape but nice colors, pattern, etc.
Does Al will ship his Wild discus to Canada?

Last time Al told me that he cannot ship to Canada.

Duncan

raglanroad
05-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Duncan, thanks.
I understand Al doesn't ship to Canada.
Actually, I was scared to ask for prices! After looking at Oliver's price list, at over $300 CAN. , I could not afford to get a group.
But as to getting U.S. fish to Canada, it is possible to get a trans-shipper in a border town for about $30 to hold the fish, or get a friend to hold them,and then pick them up by car yourself.
My only hope may be to find a seller of tiny f1 fry. In the new year. C'mon, you guys, breed those babies !
Dave

fishfarm
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I've been over stocked before and sold adult wild greens from Peru for $25. Generally for quality fish the $35-$40 range is the low end. Ken

raglanroad
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Ken.
Do you see variation in the wild greens from Peru between individual specimens? other than in condition, of course.

brewmaster15
05-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Dave, and Duncan,

Haven't shipped to canada yet, but not adverse to doing so....Provided I can get flights and the numbers of fish make it worth the drive to the airport. .. :)

I would not qualify my wilds as being the most expensive or the cheapest..But I have always tried my best to sell only healthy , good quality fish at a fair Price... I would say probably $40-65 for most common ones....greens, blues, heckels, Brown...up to $125-150 for RSG, royals, and reds.

-al

ps... Thanks Ryan, Those Browns are definetly beauties! :)

raglanroad
05-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Thank You, Al.

Moon
05-19-2005, 11:49 AM
There is Baffalo, a short drive across the border for those of us in Ontario.