PDA

View Full Version : Help with wigglers!

inkfam
05-18-2005, 05:53 PM
This is the second time that I could get wigglers from my discus pair. The first time I did not have very good luck only 3 out of the 100 wigglers lived.
I have a few questions so please help me! First of all, I see about 100 wigglers. I also see some fungused eggs and the babies are stuck on top of it.Will it harm the wigglers? The parents keep putting them back on it when they fall.
Second question, I have the parents and wigglers in RO water. When should I introduce the babies to harder water?
Third question, now that the babies are hatched how often should I do water changes?
I appreciate everyones help! Please post any other suggestions that you have.

Barb Newell
05-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi. Don't worry about the fungused eggs and the wigglers, they'll be fine. The parents will keep spitting them back until there are too many free swimmers for the parents to catch. You might want to lower your water level now before they are all free swimming, it makes attachment easier if your pair is not experienced.

I usually start adding small amounts of tap water at this stage, to prevent a ph crash. Once the wigglers are fully attached, I change about 30% daily until they're back in regular water.

For now, do very small water changes, siphoning only from the top of the tank. It's a difficult time to keep the tank clean, be careful not to siphon out a cluster of wigglers.

Barb

RichieE
05-19-2005, 07:30 AM
I syphon into a bucket so I can inspect the water before dumping it. I always seem to suck up a couple. Rich

billeagan
05-26-2005, 10:40 PM
I keep my fry with the parents and r/0 for about 3 -4 weeks and then put the babbies in a 55 to grow out and slowly take them up to tap with 7.8 ph.

Don't worry about hte fungus eggs it won't the wrigglers. As soon as the fry are free swimming or the parents move them I would remove the fungused eggs so the parents don't eat them. You don't want them getting sick.