PDA

View Full Version : TDS to mS?

jdellman
05-18-2005, 10:35 PM
I am going to set up a breeding tank, and I read all the posts about the recommended water parameters, and most posts list the conductivity in mS. If I am using a TDS meter that I think reads in ppm, how how does that convert to mS? Or even better, what would 100mS be in TDS?

Thanks,

Jim

RandalB
05-18-2005, 11:30 PM
It depends on the TDS meter, but .5 is a common conversion rate. IE: 100 uS = 50 PPM TDS.

RandalB

jdellman
05-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Randall- You should know the meter well, as I got it from you when I ordered my R/O unit. Did you mean uS, or mS? Most of the posts in the breeding section list their water parameters in mS, and the most common was around 80 mS. The conversion chart under the Water topic lists the conversion as 1 mS = 1000 uS, so that would be 80 mS = 80,000 uS = 40,000 ppm?

What do you think is the ideal ppm on your TDS meter for breeding?

Thanks for the math help.

Jim

korbi_doc
05-21-2005, 07:14 PM
:confused: :confused: Think this is confusing! as usual!! I am using a meter for my water that reads in ppms! the water from the R/O comes out near 30ppms. (probably high due to water softener) As Randal stated, the ppms are about 1/2 the MICROsiemens.. uS.. Your mS is milli-siemens, or micro siemens X 10 to the third power, not a useful conversion, don't go there.......if you are using a meter that measures in ppms as mine does, the conversion is ppms X 2 to equal uS which is what most ppl use..... Anyway, my water for breeding would be ok as it comes out at 30ppms, which would be 60uS.....I find it easier to stick to one unit of measure the ppms. & go from there, JME..HTH, Dottie :D

dishpanhands
05-22-2005, 04:30 AM
400 ppm is the same as 0.8 mS according to my meter, and it does PH/EC/TDS all in one. i just tested my tap water and thats what it was.