PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgghhh... I'm ready to pack it in!

Dillan
05-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Omigod... I got into Discus in January for a little fun and relaxation, but this is turning into a nightmare!!! First, a month or so into the saga, I polluted my water with beef heart and nearly lost all my fish to phosphates. That finally cleared up, and then one of them started having white feces, which I thought indicated intestinal parasites. I tried some incorrect medication which, again, almost killed all the fish, and then was advised to use metranidozole. Didn't help a bit and the fish died a few days later -- my first loss. :(

I waited a couple of weeks to be sure the other fish were OK and then bought two new fish. I'd only had juvies and so was pretty excited to get a 5" Red Turq. and a 5" Snakeskin. It's been fascinating watching the new fish fit into the clan.

Then... last night... in the middle of dinner... my son heard dripping in the living room. To my horror and disbelief, my tank had sprung a leak and was draining all over the floor. I have a 25 gallon tank that I'd set up as a hospital tank, but only the day before got myself a baby Oscar for it. There was no time to wonder how my Discus would like living with a baby Oscar -- had to move fast and get them out of the quickly draining tank.

Man, what a drag... my plants were doing great... the new fish had been here a week and were just started to feel at home and eating normally again... no diseases or parasites at last... and now I've had to completely traumatize the whole community, not to mention myself!

I'm honestly tempted to just give my fish away rather than fix or replace my big tank. (I sure can't leave them all in that small tank for long!) Of course, as all you discus fanatics will relate, I'm much to hooked on my fish to do that!

I'm so glad I was home when the tank cracked and that I had a spare tank to move my fish too!

My friends are all sick of my discus sob stories, but I figgered I might get a bit more sympathy here! LOL

Dillan/Vancouver

April
05-22-2005, 11:56 AM
dont give up..i know someone in surrey who has some very nice bigger tanks for sale. what size was the cracked one? im me..ill see what he has and how much. hes a discus person..Bill ..and he has tanks for sale . going north to work for awhile. Also i believe jimmyhat has some for sale.

korbi_doc
05-22-2005, 12:25 PM
:fish: As April suggests, don't give up! & until you can locate new tanks, get one of those deep transparent plastic rectangular packing trunks, very inexpensive & hold lotsa water. I have one that holds about 50 gals & cost $8...for emergency such as yours..You can cover with the plastic flourescent covers also cheap, & put the trunk cover on it to help keep the water heated. You can keep fish this way indefinitely.. & BTW, please don't forget quarantine, :book: HTH, Dottie

Discus_KC
05-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Dillan,

Learn from the problems, we all have them from time to time !!

Ask opinions of several people when you have issues with the fish. We are only a IM away

JacK

Spices
05-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I couldn't agree anymore. I've had ups and downs. Almost gave in. But I'm glad I didn't.

Keep on truckin'

:sun:

jimmyhat
05-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Its all good plexi is the way buddy Im hooked on plexi vs glass and they have some sweet (used) tanks at king eds that are 4 foot long for pretty darn lower prices than the glass.... Plus you should try a bare bottom tank easier to look after believe me i was in the same boat or if your totally into a planted gravel tank get a Uv sterilzer and run it 24/7... You still have to water change but it will solve any issues with parasites..

Come look at my set up anytime..
Jimmyhat

April
05-23-2005, 01:41 AM
I agree on the plexis. their great. they are light..to carry..dont need a canopy..and they bounce. : ) and the tru vus at king eds are good quality plexi.

jimmyhat
05-23-2005, 01:49 AM
April what was that food you wanted to show me? I need to get something more for the kids... I want more told some others about you and they as bad as me.. Did you get bills fish yet?

brewmaster15
05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Dillan,
Never give up! :) Its not always easy...but it gets easier! The hard times make the successes all that much more enjoyable!

-al

April
05-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Dillan..if you dont have money to replace the tank right now..im me i could loan you one for quite awhile. a smaller plexi one..or a glass 40 gallon.
Jimmyhat...ONF1., i have lots here for sale..also i have 16 ounce hikari bloodworms.
Glenn..come and get your onf1 before i sell it all to jimmy. : ) great food..right Glenn?