PDA

View Full Version : new to discus

leeg
05-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Hi, I am from the Toronto area, and went into a lfs a couple of days ago to buy some stuff for my marine aquarium. Anyways I am usually not intrested in freshwater aquariums but I was stunned when I saw my lfs having discus for sale. Anyways I am thinking about resurrecting my old 29 gallon tank that used to be freshwater and making a discus tank.

Currently I have a 29 gallon tank with Aquaclear 200 Filter, Marineland Visitherm 100w heater. Is that sufficient for a discus? I also plan to put at least 5 discus in there, is that too many for a 29 gallon tank?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but for some reason I am not able to search on this forum.

thanks

RyanH
05-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi Leeg,

Welcome to Simply!

A 29 is too small for what you have in mind. Discus do better in groups of 6 or more and need space. I would look into a 55 when starting into Discus.

hth
-Ryan

leeg
05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi Leeg,

Welcome to Simply!

A 29 is too small for what you have in mind. Discus do better in groups of 6 or more and need space. I would look into a 55 when starting into Discus.

hth
-Ryan
Thanks for the warm welcome ryan I appricate that :)

Because I live in a townhome space is really limited, I simply can not add a 55 gallon tank as I have already 2 other very large marine tanks in my home already. Anyways now that I understand the rule of 1 discus per 10 gallons of water. Why is it that discus do better in groups of 6 or more? Can they still do well in a pack of 3? or will it be very challenging?

Carol_Roberts
05-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Juveniles do best in groups of 6 or more. An adult pair does very nicely in a 29 gallon. The problem is trying to grow out 2 or 3 juvenile discus in a 29 gallon. The alpha discus will harass #2 and #3 until they stop eating and die . . . .

RyanH
05-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Basically, Discus are cichlids. as such, they can be pretty mean to each other. Since you have a heirarchy that devolops among cichlids such as Discus, you will always have a bully and a rabble of victims.

The more fish in the tank, the more the aggression is spread around and as a result, the extreme stress that is caused by being bullied will not typically fall on one fish. This stress can lead to disease, imaciation, stunting, and death.

Also, Discus are social fish. They can be mean as hell to one another but they also seem to enjoy having others around. IME, Discus are healthier and are more likely to flourish in larger groups rather than a lonely duo or trio.

I've seen many instances where a new Discus keeper made the mistake of starting with two or three fish, often purchased from different sources and had to deal with too many headaches to count. There are exceptions to everything but you are better off starting with a group.

One other option would be to buy an adult mated pair. This is one exception where two fish can do well together most of the time.

Unless they decide to divorce... :D

I hope that answered your question.

-Ryan

RyanH
05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Wow Carol. It only took you three sentences to say the same thing I said with five paragraphs. :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse .... :D

Carol_Roberts
05-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Yes, but your answer is more in depth and much better :)

shaunn
05-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Leeg-

I have four Discus in my Discus/Angel tank. They were bought at different times and there is definately (what I call) an "omega" Discus... the lowest on the totem pole. While the others are fine and growing nicely, the "omega" is stunted and subserviant to the others.

P.S. I use the term "omega" because it certainly is not the "alpha" fish! And I wouldn't call it a cull, since its not genetically defective.

leeg
05-23-2005, 11:03 AM
thanks for everyones help here, I really appriacite it, maybe 29 gallons is not good enough for discus to live properly in there. I was thinking about upgrading the tank in the future, but I know thats likley not going to happen. Ill see what my other options are.

JimmyL
05-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Leeg: I hope this is not too late to answer your question. Whatever Ryan and Carol said is correct. There is another option. buy 6 small discus. Get a bigger wattage heater. Grow them and enjoy them. As they grow bigger and need more room. You can keep them with more water change and if your time is limited. You can give them to me and leave the best looking pair in a 29 gallon. They will be just fine. Tell the LFS to feed the fish before choosing. Don't buy them if they don't chase for food. Otherwise, buy your fish from your local breeder. You can find some in our breeder locator in your area or the sponsors from this forum.
Jimmy

April
05-27-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree with all said..and What Jimmy said. there are some great breeders in Toronto area..and more assured of starting out with healthy happy discus and not get discouraged. lfs ones possibly can have alot of problems..including runting..older than their size..and not as likely to grow..parasites..virus' etc.
have a look on our breeder sponsor area..and im some in your area. they are also better...as they may know your water in your area..and also help you with getting started right. also..usually a better price for better quality discus.
discus are not hard if you follow a few simple rules. best to start with barebottom tank..and doing daily wcs with same parameter water.