PDA

View Full Version : Starting my 70 gallon

traco
05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Good forum with tons of info!

I have had my 70 gallon tank running as saltwater for the last 9 years and finally this weekend disassembled it. I wanted to go back to freshwater and discus clinched the deal! :)

I have set up my Fluval 303 with sponges in my 20 gallon freshwater to get some bacteria going.

I will move most of the gravel from the 20 to the 70 plus add more gravel if needed. I will use water from the 20 gallon when doing water changes on that tank.

Questions:

- the Fluval is a rattler!! Do I need to use this in the tank or can I just have a hang on back filter? I want to make sure I have good circulation and filtration. I'd like to do water changes once or twice a week.

- Penguin, Emperor or Aquaclear hang on? Which is the quietest and easiest to access and clean the sponges?

_ also run a sponge filter in the tank?

- run undergravel filter too? I realize with gravel I'll be vacuuming which is no problem. I'll be adding some plants to the tank which will help with the overall balance of the tank.

- is adding Cycle or Prime a good idea when setting up the tank?

- I'd like to have 5 or 6 discus in the tank. Will I have to downsize as they grow? Would rather get the numbers I want and what the tank can handle in the beginning.

- what is a good cleaner to have in the tank that is compatible with the disucs?

- Lastly, any good breeders in Canada that I can order from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barb

RedScorpion21
05-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey Barb, no need to have same thread in two different sections.... ;)

Discus for beginners
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?p=239417#post239417

shalu
05-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Is it true that you don't have much experience either with discus or with planted tanks? Then I would not suggest that you try to grow out juvenile discus AND grow the plants at the same time in the same tank. Both require certain learning curve and putting them together as a first attempt only makes the curve steeper, it might result in frustration and stunted discus.

traco
05-23-2005, 11:25 PM
I've had experience with freshwater and saltwater. Saltwater takes a good knowledge with keeping levels up, adding additive, keeping the tank clean which you need to do to keep your corals, substrate and fish happy and healthy. I had great success with my tank but dismantled it due to moving and fresh water is a lot easier to move.

I've had experience and success with plants and fish both in fresh and salt. But I found new info with this thread about using undergravel filters and discus being a slow bottom feeder who likes to blow on the food.

But thanks for the replies. Any comments whether good or bad are appreciated. I'd rather find things out now; that way, no deaths or frustrations.

Sorry, I had posted this on another section and then thought I should post also here. But thanks for all comments. Appreciated.

shaunn
05-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Barb-

If you are setting up a display tank, I would use the sponges that you are seeding in your twenty gallon tank, but only temporarily. Cycle and prime are not the same thing.

Hopefully the rattling of your Fluval 303 doesn't mean its going to fail.

Also, how often do you plan to do water changes? This may be important and impact your filter decisions.

As for a filter, specifically a hang on back filter, I would suggest the whisper model which uses two filter packs. This is so you can alternate the replacement of filter cartrides- never do them at the same time. A rule of thumb is that the filter should move at least 3-4 times the volume of water per hour (in your case 210-280 gallons per hour.)

As for undergravel- I used that but I don't think its absolutely necessary. I always wanted to setup a reverse undegravel system, but my intentions are experimental.

What do you mean a "good cleaner"? I am assuming you mean by fish, and if so, I would recommend Corydoras (their the pigs in my tank). When setting your tank up, I would purchase these first to help to kickstart the bio-laod in your tank.

Use an airpump to deal with circulation.

Get 6 Discus. They should be fine. I agree with Plant Meister Shalu, start with juveniles. Inexpensive and fun.

Death and frustration is part of the learning process. My advice would be to keep it simple and work your way up so it isn't so frustrating that you quit. Discus are not hard to keep.

traco
05-25-2005, 09:26 AM
I've done lots of searching and reading. Starting to get fuzzy eyes :)

My fluval 303 no longer has impellers for replacement! So, now the search continues. I need something quiet and that will do the job. Water changes twice a week.

Which of the hang on back is the quietest and has not a big splash? What about power outtages and burnout of the impeller when power goes back on and water flow has been stopped? Any self starters or out of luck?

Help much appreciated and keep the questions and answers coming!!

Thanks.

Barb

Tiptoptank
05-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Is this a planted tank? Either way go buy a Ehiem. I wish I bought this filter in the first place.

shaunn
05-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I have heard great things about Eheim, although I got the Fluval 404. Very easy to maintain, and filter components are almost everywhere.