PDA

View Full Version : well my first close call

jimmyhat
05-25-2005, 10:07 PM
This morning woke up realized one fish (the oldest red turq) was swimming face down and all black...

Looking closer noted he was really bloated and fighting like mad to stay downwards...

So ripped him out into a bucket and dosed him with massive amount of epsom salt.....He looked worse actually floating now... Then stopped moving (death???)

Nope mouth moved Then i realized im late for work and threw in a furan2 tab then a fluke tab let him sit for 5 mins and before i left cranked the UV on threw him back in the tank (not the bucket)........... Worst part of this is i was running the prazipro this would have been the 4th day and i wanted to run 7 days with w/c's well we wil see whats next!!!

Came home after a long day and thinking hes dead and gonna have a floater hes alive and well looking for more food LOL Homeade remedies

oh and why he was bloated !!!! Well i have plecs in the tank as well and ummmm i put 2 tabs in before bed... The plecos never ate them and i forgot he loves them so i guess after his large intake of normal foor he coffed them back as well Little piece of crap :confused:

Alight
05-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I had a discus bloat on algae tabs, too. He seemed to love the tabs, and blew up soon after eating them. From watching what happened, it's clear that the algae tabs made lots of gas in the fish. Maybe the yeast in them combined with other stuff the fish eats?

I too was able to save the fish using epsom salts. He was better within hours after lots of gas was passed.

One tip that I learned is to drop a fish net over the fish when they are bloated. That way, they stay down, without having to expend so much energy, and they don't dry out from sitting on the surface, next to hot lights, heaters, etc., which cause more damage than the bloat itself.

I no longer use algae tabs anywhere near the Discus. The other food that did it to one of my Discus was Hikari cichlid pellets. Again lots of yeast in that one.

jimmyhat
05-26-2005, 08:23 PM
I throw them in still I just really don't care If the discus make it they make it... The strongest survive!!! I have been waiting so long for my 2 pairs to lay im almost ready to get into the tank and lay the eggs for them...

As soon as you don't care anymore they live as soon as you get attached to the little $%#Wers they die! :D

I want to start breeding zebra plecos at 250 a fish all the time and more pfffft im all over that i looked at 5 of them today and am thinking of selling of some of the discus heard for those zebras!

Carol_Roberts
05-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Don't remove bloated fish from the tank. Epsom salt does not hurt the other fish or the biofilter. Add Epsom salt directly to the tank. Also one tablespoon epsom salt per 10 gallons is usually enough - Overdosing any medication is not a good idea. There was no need for the furan II or fluke tabs in the bucket. Antibiotics like furan II require several days of use to effect a cure - one dose only makes bacteria resistant. Fluke tabs are for external parasites. External parasites do not cause bloat.

jimmyhat
06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
i had 5 mins to get to work he looked so dead... And i figured it was time for a mix it all in... Panik mode 101- Anyways that fish is the hardiest fish i have ever seen.. He eats everything and anything not a thing he will pass up. I didn't have enuff epsom salts to treat a 160 gallon tank so i was freaking ontop of having to be somewhere fast / doing a waterchange and paniking.. Just have to throttle back the alage tabs thats all little pieces for the pleco only at time...