PDA

View Full Version : Are the most recent discus books worth the $

Russ
05-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi,
I was thinking about purchasing a discus book such as Penang Discus, Malaysia Discus II, or the new Singapore Discus book. I have many discus books from the mid to late 90's and was wondering if these new books are worth the $, or just alot of pictures and info that is already on the forum, or in the older books. I have both Jack Wattley's books the older Singapore Discus book, Brand New Discus and several others already.

Dave C
05-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Penang Discus is worth the price.

Moon
05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I just bought Exotic Discus of the World for $65. It has lots of info new to me. So it's worth the price

beta
05-26-2005, 11:49 AM
I just bought Exotic Discus of the World for $65. It has lots of info new to me. So it's worth the price

Would definitely recommend this book..lots of info + it has the Who's who of the discus world.

jimmyhat
05-26-2005, 08:19 PM
I am going to write a book called: how to kill your very first discus and save the 100th one!

Spices
05-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi,
I was thinking about purchasing a discus book such as Penang Discus, Malaysia Discus II, or the new Singapore Discus book. I have many discus books from the mid to late 90's and was wondering if these new books are worth the $, or just alot of pictures and info that is already on the forum, or in the older books. I have both Jack Wattley's books the older Singapore Discus book, Brand New Discus and several others already.

I have both books of Bernd Degen on discus: Wild Discus and Discus. I enjoy reading both books and the photos are wonderful.
*A*

Carol_Roberts
05-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Penang discus by Shaifullah Yeng is excellent.

Russ
05-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your replies, I think I am going to make the investment, I can't believe how much the prices went up, I bought all my older discus books at around $20 a piece.

Moon
05-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Russ
Why not look for a used book. Chapters/Indigo carry a number of used books. I ordered Singapore Discus for $17 but it was stolen en route. There is another available for $19 and I placed an order for it.

Russ
05-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Hi Moon,
I checked out chapter's after I read your thread, and they didn't have the Penang Discus, Malaysia Discus II, or the new Singapore Discus book. I already have the original Singapore Discus and alot of the others they have there.

Russ

Rod
05-30-2005, 06:05 PM
One of the latest books out and i believe one of the best is Discus, the naked truth by Andrew Soh. Andrew is a long time discus breeder from Singapore and he leaves nothing out in this book. Packed with information and pics of the latest strains. I paid S$98 for my copy which is about US$60 and Qian Hu www.qianhu.com was distributing them.

Rod
05-30-2005, 06:06 PM
contents

April
05-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Cool Rodney..wheres my copy? i take it your back..ill await my full blow by blow detailed description of the event. : )
can i order it to be sent here? if not..i know someone i can harrass in sing sing for one to be sent. : )

Rod
05-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Hi April, Yeah i'm back, been busy doing water changes and catching up with work but i'll send you a full report soon. Had a great time, one day you'll have to make it. Got heaps of pics which i'll try and post on simply tomorrow.

ttys

Rod