PDA

View Full Version : how can anyone say they can tell...

tdr1919
05-26-2005, 03:56 PM
the sex of these fish by looking at them. My Marlboro & my RedDragon spawned and I know who is who by the spawn. but I spent hours looking very close at the two (way after the spawn) and I can't see any differences,
the fins, the mouth, whatever. I think Jack Whatley said it, that a group of "experts" observed his fish (he knew the sexes) and only 47% were correct in their conclusions, and that is like a 50/50 chance!
So if any one has a secret method, enlighten me....please

Tom

Doug A
05-26-2005, 04:51 PM
I remember reading somwhere that the males have a thicker forehead, longer dorasal fin which is sometimes pointed, etc..

Like you said the outcome of the guess is 50/50.

The only 100% way to tell is when they are spawning.

Doug

jimmyhat
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
here you go fish doctor is here (http://article.dphnet.com/cat-02/sexdiscus.shtml)

Carol_Roberts
05-27-2005, 03:38 PM
I can guess better than 50% on fry I have raised up myself. I don't do better than 50/50 guessing on adults owned by others . . .

Kagan
05-27-2005, 04:40 PM
In my opinion, there is no way to tell. The only method I know for sure is during spawning :).. But I do agree with Carol for our own batches.

Kagan

billeagan
05-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I talked with Bruce at Majestic and he is 4 different factors in judging. He has been doing this for many years.

But, he said with the combination of the 4 different things he is generally 80 -90% accurate.

But, I believe he is raising them himself which helps.

My first clutch is 2 months old and I have 2 monster fish a couple of mediums and a bunch of small.

I would bet that the largest ones are the males, the smallest the female, and a crap shoot in between.

Ultimately, the only way to know is to see them breed. It took me a couple of pairs to be sure when I was looking at the probes to boot.

Carol_Roberts
05-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Those large ones can fool you - sometimes they are females :)