PDA

View Full Version : lack of eggs

johny2hats
05-27-2005, 07:13 AM
hi all i have a breeding pair of discus in my community tank and they have been laying and hatched eggs many times but every time i put them in a tank of there own they only lay a small amount of eggs and they never hatch im puzzled by this do i give up on this pair or not can anybody help me with this please :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Doug A
05-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Do you transfer them back and forth from the community tank to their own tank? Are all the water param's the same in both tanks?

I'm no expert in this matter, but I would leave them in their own tank. Transfering them would add undue stress. Give them good food and clean water in a private tank and I'm sure they will give you a nice batch of babies in time.

JMO
Doug

Northwest Discus
05-27-2005, 12:32 PM
The fact that your Discus continue to lay in the non-community tank is a good sign. You need to make sure of three things. 1-Your water quality needs to be very good. 2- Your conductivity reading needs to be between 50-100 microseimens. 3-Keep your Ph reading stable at whatever they are use to. Too much fluctuation may be causing your trouble. Hang in there...It sounds like your very close.....
Good luck

ShinShin
05-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Post some more info such as pH, conductivity, water change regime, food....

Kagan
05-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Laying small amount of eggs is due to lack of genetic fertility or lack of feeding. In your situation the reason should be lack of feeding. Feed them with beefheart or frozen food like bloodworms, white worms or blackworms that will get them back to business ;)

johny2hats
05-29-2005, 05:55 AM
thanks everyone foer your help i will keep trying :D