PDA

View Full Version : How often do most pairs spawn?

Russ
05-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi,
I am considering buying a pair that spawns every 3 weeks, is this considered average, good or bad?

Carol_Roberts
05-31-2005, 12:00 AM
IF they are raising a clutch every three weeks that is great:) If they are laying, but none is hatching then that is bad :(

Russ
05-31-2005, 12:31 AM
They are a young pair around a year old and haven't raised fry all the way yet, but are fertile.

Kagan
05-31-2005, 05:42 AM
most of the pairs lay eggs every 6-8 days (if they do not raise the batch as Carol wrote)..

3 weeks is a long time but the water/environment might be the reason for this. You can build a better environment (more stabile, clean and softer water + very good feeding with high protein foods, expecially live or frozen food) for them and shorten the period of spawning.

Kagan

tgirl6868
06-01-2005, 02:06 PM
most of the pairs lay eggs every 6-8 days.

you said that most pairs lay eggs every 6-8 days? is that right? how often can pairs lay egg? if the first time the eggs didnt work out?

RyanH
06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Yup, 6-8 days sounds about right.

I've had pairs spawn a few dozen times before they finally got it right.

-Ryan

Northwestcoastdisc
06-01-2005, 04:36 PM
I am going with Carol and Ryan.

I had lot of experince with my discus for many years.

The young pairs they can spawn every 6 to 8 days but they can raise the babies when they can carry bunch of fry. but They can eat fry when they will lay eggs.

The Mature pairs they can spawm every 2 to 3 weeks. They can carry fry so well. They are very good parents.

I would say about less than 50% are good parents i mean, They can spawn and ferited so well, take care of the eggs , take care of fry, Grow out fry. That is a proven breed pairs which cost more money.

22 pairs out of 100 ADULTS. which they are good parents. But other adults can be a good parents when they will get older enough or never.

Proven males mean is they can ferited so well but might be take care of eggs or NOT. ???

Proven females mean they can laid eggs but they might be take care of eggs or NOT???

HTH

Duncan

Russ
06-02-2005, 12:48 AM
I would like your opinion on weather to purchase a very nice pair of Red Melons, (great shape and color) that are 11 months old and spawn every three weeks, but has not carried fry on their back yet for $300. Is this too much of a gamble or not.

Northwestcoastdisc
06-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Hi Russ,

You can ask the breeder if the pair had take care of wrigglers or not? If they do not take care of the wrigglers mean they are young. You give them more time and learn them to take care of them.
well, if you have lot of experince with discus breeding you should not take too high risky.

If you don't know how to breed with discus, it might take high risky for you.

Maybe they are good parents or not? maybe they will never take care of them??

HTH

Duncan

Kagan
06-03-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi there,

I am not sure that pair is mature enough to be fertile (of course the male). The youngest fertile male I have owned was at 13 months. Be sure about their fertility.

Also as Duncan said, check out if they had wrigglers. If you have a chance observe the eggs and even their spawning. If they are fertile, the eggs must have black dots after 35 hours or so.

In addition, check that they are male-female. Sometimes two females lay eggs together.

I cannot say anything about the price since I dont live in US. I guess the breeders can easily give you advice about this part.

Kagan

Russ
06-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the advice, I found out that they had wigglers 3 or 4 times but have not carried fry and about 70% of eggs are fertile, and they are actually 14 or 15 months old. How does this sound?

Kagan
06-05-2005, 09:38 AM
The 70% fertile eggs can be result of the work of male or the water parameters. So we cannot comment on this. I think you should look for quality in a pair in order to get some beautiful youngsters. Of course we cannot comment on this since we did not see the pair.

Kagan

Russ
06-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera or I would post a picture, but they are a beautiful pair IMO, they are Red Melons.