PDA

View Full Version : Pairing up or Bullying?

MoOcHiE525
06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Dear Member's,
This is a little confusing so please stay with me. I started out with three Red tourqoise (Juvanilles) about one year ago, and just lost one last week from a bad fungus infection. About two months ago one of the remaining two and the now dead discus had laid eggs on the tank heater, and I never got to see if they were fertile. While the two were paired up the third discus tried to cut in and steal away the bigger of the pair. Now the two fish I have left from the three are lip locking every five minuets and it's pretty intense. They are also swimming together really fast around the tank. I also observed their bottom fins twitching. But I dont see any bowing or cleaning of any sort. The smaller of the two sometimes hides around the box filter, but comes to the front glass alot. They are both eating alot also. This has been going on for about a couple of days. They are in a thirty gallon bare-bottom, and are still young. One is about 3 inches from mouth to begining of tail and the other is about 3.5-4 inches. Should I add a teracottapot? Thanks for reading and I would really like to find out, but I guess time will tell.
Mike

Carol_Roberts
06-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Hard to say - they seem small. Time will tell. Put in a pot if you want to and watch to see if they start pecking at it . . . .

MoOcHiE525
06-02-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks Carol, but I noticed that the smaller of the two does not hide that much and is not really the victim as my post my have portrayed him to be. I am going to put in a pot but do I have to do anything to it? Or just buy a regular one and wipe it down before putting it in the tank? Thanks for your time and hope I get some more input.
Michael

MoOcHiE525
06-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Dear Member's,
As of this morning the two discus are "Floating" together in one area and seem to be "looking" at the back wall. Well I will keep you posted but I wont get my hopes up. The two are still young as Carol mentioned and I juist have to wait this out. Any input is appriciated.
Michael

Kagan
06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I guess Carol was saying that they are small not young. If you got them about a year ago, they should be fertile. But that size is very small for a discus at that age.

I guess you have to wait for now and see what happens. If they are fertile and get paired up (unless they are both female/male), you will still get some fry.

Kagan