PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

Go For It
06-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Hi there...

I'm really interested in Discus fish and greatly would enjoy raising some, but after reading numerous books and websites about Discus, I'm beginning to get confused and disheartened as to what needs to be done in order to keep Discus in good health. I want to be sure that if I do end up raising Discus, they will live long, happy lives. Maybe you can help me out a bit here...

Okay, to begin with... my tank set-up. I have a 40 gallon tank with fluorescent aquarium lighting and a "Marineland Magnum M350" filter. Is this tank set-up suitable to keep Discus in? If so, how many Discus will I be able to keep in the tank? I recall reading some where "1 Discus per 10 gallons of water"... so this would mean I would be able to keep 4 Discus in my tank; however, I also recall reading that Discus do much better in a group of 6-8 fish. Would this be a problem? I would like the tank to be more of a "community tank" but focused primarily around the requirements for Discus. I was told that it is okay to keep small, slow moving fish such as Cardinal Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, and Otos with Discus. Would it be at all possible to add some of these fish with my Discus with my situation?

Alright... water requirements. I measured my tap water with a "dry tab" and its pH level measured between 6.4 and 6.8; and the total hardness measured 120ppm. Is this suitable for Discus or will I have to add things to the water to meet their requirements?If so, what would I need to add into the water? I'm also really confused about water changes. In my 20 gallon tank, I do a 25% water change and then fill the tank back up with tap water and then treat it on a weekly basis. Would I be doing the same procedure with my Discus tank? How often would I have to measure and treat the water in the Discus tank to be sure it remains in the proper levels?

What would be a good "check list" to obtain prior to getting Discus?

Thank You for taking the time to read this and answer my questions. I would really like to keep Discus, but I am worried I wouldn't be able to provide them with perfect conditions. Again thanks for your help...

-Mike

Go For It
06-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi again...

The 40 gallon tank that I currently own was given to me by a friend of my Dad's who onced owned fish. It has a "Marineland Magnum M350" filter but I have ABSOLUTLEY no idea what that truly means and I have no insruction manual to guide me with it. Is anyone knowledgeable on that particular filter or know where I can get information on it? I really love aquariums and caring for fish, but my main priority is to be sure the fish I am caring for will be in excellent health. I recently saw a Discus at my LFS and was just amazed by them and would really like to care for some. However being young [16] I practically have NO idea what I'm doing and was hoping someone could help me out. I live in Southern California and was wondering if anyone knew or could reccomend some sort of "fish help" that would be able to guide me into caring for Discus? Thanks.

-Mike

Cosmo
06-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Mike,

Don't have much time before work, but I'll try and answer a couple of your questions before I have to run, then check back tonight and answer some more if no one else has weighed in.

The 40 gal tank would be fine for 6 juveniles but you'd need to get a bigger tank as they get older since as you already know it would be small for six adults. The Magnum filter is great for mechanical filtration, but I'd think it's too large for that tank, especially for Discus who prefer less turbulent water.

Best bet for the setup is to leave the tank bare bottom. Paint the bottom (on the outside) or the reflections may make them a little uncomfortable. What you really want is good bio filtration and the Magnum falls short on that. You should look into a good sponge filter (Hydro IV maybe) and/or possibly a hang on the back filter such as an AquaClear of Penguin Bio Wheel.

Make sure the filters are cycled (the nitrogen cycle) before you put any fish into the tank, there are several good articles in the library on how to do this. Water temp should be between 84 and 86 though I tend to keep mine between 87-88.

Keep it simple, don't go adding a lot of decorations, maybe a piece of good driftwood or large rocks. Stay away from plants, both plastic and real until you get the simple setup down as plastic plants trap debris and real plants complicate the water chemistry.

Your water sounds perfect out of the tap, but did you test it straight out of the tap or after it was aged. If you didn't age it first, put some in a cup with an airstone and let it sit overnight then measure again. If it's the same the water is stable and can be used safely directly from the tap (with dechlorinator).. if the readings change then you might want to consider aging it first or you'll be adding dis-similar water at each water change.

Most of us do daily water changes of 30% or more. Many do every other day. The more often the better as Discus are more sensitive to water conditions than are most other ornamental fish and will get stress related disease issues if the water quality is not kept up.

Measure the water parameters often until you are sure the water is stable (ammonia/nitrites stay at zero and nitrates stay below 5 or 10) are stable, then you can cut back and measure occassionally so long as you maintain the same routine.

Personally I only keep Discus in with my Discus though others add other fish as you noted. I'd suggest you start with only Discus until you get a larger tank then consider adding the others.

Gotta run, hope this helps.

Jim

Cosmo
06-02-2005, 06:41 AM
PS. Would recommend NOT buying Discus from an LFS. Most don't take care of them correctly and your odds of getting a diseased fish are much greater, also, they'll cost you a lot more.

Suggest you contact several of the breeders who sponsor this sight as they all have excellent quality fish and you'll find the price is much better too.

Better to get all the fish at once from the same vendor to keep the odds of a healthy batch in your favor.

Once you get a bigger tank, you can use the 40 as your quarantine tank, which we can talk about later :)

Jim

Carol_Roberts
06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
. . . . also read through the beginner section here - especially the beginner index and www.discusnada.org on discus care