PDA

View Full Version : additives for plants

traco
06-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Would getting Flourish tablets along with planting into flourite gravel help plants get nourishment? I take it there is a fine line between keeping the plants happy and algae blooms? I figure the tablets would target the plants better than a liquid. Not going to run Co2. Want to keep it as basic as possible.

Spices
06-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Would getting Flourish tablets along with planting into flourite gravel help plants get nourishment? I take it there is a fine line between keeping the plants happy and algae blooms? I figure the tablets would target the plants better than a liquid. Not going to run Co2. Want to keep it as basic as possible.

I'm currently using liquid vitamins. I dose every week (maybe once). Sometimes I forget to dose and still my plants thrive very well. I guess it would depend on what kinds of plants you have.

Plants like the Swords crave more nutrient; however, I believe if you overdo the dosing, you will end up with algae.

I have no co2 either.

peteypob
06-03-2005, 12:15 AM
The substrate supplements are great, but they mainly target the heavy root feeders like swords. The liquid nutrients are usually best if not wanting to mess with dry chemicals. Flourish excel is a great co2 substitute! works wonders on my 30gal low tech tank. I recently got a free bach of Kents Botanica from my LFS to try and let them know how things work out, so far so good. Like spices said it all depends on your choice pf plants as well. the lighting will play a somewhat factor in your choice of plants. HTH
-Pete

Don_Lee
06-03-2005, 05:45 PM
No need to use Flourish Tabs if you have Flourite already, the Flourite will provide plenty of nutrients for root feeders like swords. If you have gravel and/or sand, the tabs would be a good idea. Most stem plants utilize much nutrients from the water column so you may want to use liquid fertilizers for those types of plants.

Don

Billionzz
06-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Don't worry about the ferts causing algae problems, you are more likely to have algae problems if you don't fertilize the plants. Start with a carbon source such as Seachem Excel then add ferts to the water colum.

Bill