PDA

View Full Version : formalin for egg fungus,will it kill bio filter?

mike J
06-04-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a couple of pairs of discus that spawn regularly, one pair is in a large comunity tank and one pair in a breeding tank. So far I have only had one small success in the breeding tank. That pair ended up with 17 healthy fry which are now in a grow out tank and they are getting ready to spawn agiain.

So far my biggest problem has been with white fungus on the eggs, every spawn has been affected. most of the posts reccomend meth blue, but I have formalin on hand and I don't have easy access to more meds(I live on a small island).

I am just wondering if formalin will kill the biological filter? A discus breeder I know reccomended using one drop per gallon, which is half the dosage reccomended in an article on this forum.

If anyone knows how formalin will affect the bio filter I would appreciate hearing from them

Russ
06-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi Mike,
I recently asked the same question and was told it won't kill it if you have a strong bio filter.

mench
06-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Yep one drop per gal...woun't hurt the bio load at all.Also a little air movement around the eggs doesn't hurt either.

Mench

billeagan
06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
The pair may get better too over time. I have a pair that has laid eggs every week since about December or so and the eggs would get fungus.

This last batch had very little fungus on the eggs and I have a batch of about 60 fry.