PDA

View Full Version : Would you feed this to your discus????

brewmaster15
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
This product is food additive, insecticide, antioxidant, fungicide, plant growth regulator, post-harvest dip ..rubber preservative and is FDA approved for use as an
antioxidant for carotenes vitamin A and E and the prevention
of the development of organic peroxides. It has been purported to decrease/inhibit bacteria counts in the intestinal track, causing serious issues there as well

It has been implicated in kidney and liver disease.

additionally it has been almost banned from use in Human foods,...and is implicated/proven to be a serious carcinogen.

and it May be harmful by ingestion, inhalation and through skin contact. Skin and eye irritant

oh but btw.. Its in your cat food/dog food/birdfood and yes..even your fish foods in most cases...

can you say ...ethoxyquin

Its used in fish meal....which is a main ingredient in most fish foods... and its a preservative in tetra bits and many others.. Check your fish foods... what other brands is it in?

Just when you thought you had found a food that was safe for your fish.. No parasites...good protein profile...bam... You get hit with the cons.. Its got something nasty in it...
MSG step aside...BHT..move over... we got Ethoxyquin to worry about. somebody please tell these manufacturers that we'll pay a few bucks more for a product minus the chemical junk.. even if it needs to be refrigerated. :mad:

-al

jim_shedden
06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
scary al...............thanks

jim

korbi_doc
06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: Geez Al, more info than we want to know!!!! If it isn't one thing it's another, is there no end to it????????? &, it's ALMOST banned from human food???? :waaa: :waaa:

tpl*co
06-07-2005, 12:01 AM
OK, you had me looking at all my dried food containers. Seems like none of my Hikari has it in there, but Tetra, Nutra and the others that I looked at do. ACK! my fish don't like the Hikari bits as well and they cost a fortune! Is there anything else out there that doesn't? (they do get frozen and cbw too though).

tpl*co
06-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Looking at Drs Foster and Smith and it seems that the Azoo brand also doesn't have it? Has anybody tried that brand?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4285&Ntt=discus&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

tpl*co
06-07-2005, 09:33 AM
found a link to FDA response on the chemical:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00119.html

tpl*co
06-07-2005, 09:36 AM
"November 2, 1989

FDA REVIEW FINDS NO ADVERSE HEALTH THREAT FROM ETHOXYQUIN

As a result of publicity in pet magazines and newspapers, there have
been inquiries about the safety of ethoxyquin. Some have suggested this
approved food additive is responsible for a wide range of common
health-related problems in dogs, from itchy skin and lethargy to thyroid and
kidney problems, reproductive disorders and even cancer.
Ethoxyquin is a chemical preservative used in animal feed to prevent
ingredients from reacting with oxygen and becoming rancid. It is also used
in human foods as an anti-oxidant as well as to preserve color in paprika
and ground and powdered chili. The following may be used to answer
questions:
Ethoxyquin and other anti-oxidants, such as BHA and BHT, have been used
in animal feed for more than 25 years. FDA has published food additive
regulations for safe levels of ethoxyquin's use in animal feed at a maximum
of 150 parts per million -- equivalent to 0.015 percent of the finished
product. Specifically, the approved animal feed uses of this additive are
(1) to retard oxidation of carotene, xanthophylls and Vitamins A and E in
animal feed and fish food, (2) to retard oxidation of Vitamin E and carotene
in dehydrated forage crops and (3) to retard organic peroxides in canned pet
food.
-MORE-

Page 2
A five-year study in dogs (1959-1964) by Monsanto Agricultural of St.
Louis, Mo., found no pathological changes attributable to ethoxyquin. A
1982 literature search by FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
found no evidence that ethoxyquin was carcinogenic. In 1988, a second
literature search carried out by FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine found
a 1987 paper that reported on a 23-week study in rats. The study used a
dose level of 5,000 ppm ethoxyquin -- far higher than approved levels --
that suggested a carcinogenic potential. Because of this, the agency
nominated ethoxyquin for toxicity testing under the National Toxicology
Program in Research Triangle Park, N.C. A decision on whether this testing
will be undertaken is expected to be made late in 1990.
To date, FDA has found no scientific or medical evidence that ethoxyquin
used at approved levels is injurious to human or animal health. Also, FDA
has found no documentation of the claims of harm to any animal. The agency
will continue to review any new data generated on the safety of this
ingredient. Should any adverse health effect be documented, FDA will not
hesitate to enforce the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act to protect the
health of humans and animals. "

wolfbane
06-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Ethoxyquin has been removed from many dog foods, because of public outcry. I personally use dog food that does not contain it. People have blamed it for infertility in studs and dams, hair loss, every thing they could find wrong with their stock. Whether it truly does cause these problems or not seems to be up for debate. The FDA says no, breeders and show folk say yes. I personally prefer not to feed unneccessary chemicals to my family or my pets. That being said, I just got my Foster and Smith order with lots of Colorbits, 6 cans, at the reduced price. I can't afford to throw it all away so... while I would prefer that ethoxyquin was not in the food, I will be using Colorbits anyway. Its only a small part of my daily feeding, I think the fish will be fine. buy, you have made me think, the next food I buy, I will be reading the labels.

Jeff
06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
A good reason to just make your own beef heart.

Howie_W
06-08-2005, 08:03 AM
A good reason to just make your own beef heart.

Except of course for any cattle stock being raised on foods containing ethoxyquin. :)

Does anyone have a list of products similar to Tetra Bits that do not contain it?

Howie

zoids
06-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Guys,

Here is an interesting article i found on the web.

http://forums.spectrumfishfood.com/viewtopic.php?t=8

Roy

brewmaster15
06-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks Roy!

I just got off the phone with a commercial food manufacturer a few minutes ago and learned a bit about the use of ethoxyquin. Basically its not added to the fish food itself as a preservative, its added to the fish oil to prevent or decrease rancidity. Fish oil is very prone to degradation. I take This to mean that even though it may not be listed as an ingredient on the label, its probably there since most food manufacturers buy their oil elsewhere.

There are other products that protect against this but they are very expensive and ethoxyquin is very cheap.

I personally don't care for preservatives.. but I think we may be stuck with this one.

-al

April
06-08-2005, 02:20 PM
interersting..i heard from a vet that iams and other dog foods are using something that is causing liver damage..and liver cancer..perhaps thats it. also..i have seen a huge influx in dogs with cushings disease..almost every 10th older dog lately..or getting close to 10 years old are coming in with cushings disease..somethins goin on..never saw that much before..
Korbi..maybe you have some insight in this? is it hormones added..or maybe that stuff?
guess i better go read my fish food container.

wolfbane
06-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Even too much vitamins can cause problems. Some companies say the use only vitamin E and maybe C to preserve, but too much E can cause big problems too.