PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you hear about...

Audrey
06-07-2005, 01:33 PM
the lady at the airport in a southern city of Melbourne on a flight from Singapore that was caught smuggling bags of tropical fish??? She had 51 bags of tropical fish in a special apron under her skirt.

Article said there must have been something fishy about the way she walked. And during the search customs officers became suspicious after hearing "flipping noises" coming from her waist.

Check it out, The Associated Press. There's a picture of her apron with the fish bags inside.

Wonder if they were discus??? LOL!!!!

Huy Nguyen
06-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Well, I didn't hear about this. Where is the source of this story? I would probably guess they would be Arowana b/c they are more expensive than discus. If anyone knows more about it please share it.

Audrey
06-07-2005, 02:15 PM
All I know is it came out of the Associated Press. A friend sent me the story.

Spices
06-07-2005, 03:00 PM
:D That's way too funny!!! haa....haa...

I'm here in the USA. So I know for sure I ain't that woman! LMAOL

I was contemplating the same but coming from Brazil, Barb's and Kumar's place in Canada. LMAOL....
:D:D:D
*A*

CeratopsianCanus
06-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Woman charged with smuggling fish in skirt

Customs officials hear 'flipping' noises, find 51 tropical speciesThe Associated Press
Updated: 9:50 a.m. ET June 6, 2005

SYDNEY, Australia - There must have been something fishy about the way she walked. Customs officials said Monday they stopped a woman as she arrived Friday in the southern city of Melbourne on a flight from Singapore and found 51 live tropical fish allegedly hidden in a specially designed apron under her skirt.

"During the search customs officers became suspicious after hearing 'flipping' noises coming from the vicinity of her waist," the Australian Customs Service said in a press release. "An examination revealed 15 plastic water-filled bags holding fish allegedly concealed inside a purpose-built apron."

The species of fish was not immediately known, but customs officials warned they could carry diseases that could decimate Australian fish if they escaped into local rivers.

Customs officers will charge the woman once they establish what species the fish are. If convicted of smuggling wildlife, she faces a fine of up to U.S. $83,617 and could also get a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Audrey
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
"If they escaped into local rivers". LOL!!! Like that is going to happen.
Makes me think of Finding Nemo movie, when the saltwater fish in the bags make their way back to the ocean. LMAO!!!!!

wee
06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Article pt 2/2.........

wee
06-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Article pt 1/2.........