PDA

View Full Version : Pet stores

radridd
06-08-2005, 08:16 AM
When I first got hooked on this hobby in the 80's. The store was privately owned by a hobbiest. This guy helped me with the setup of my first tank, through building my own wet/dry filter for salt water tank. He always had the supplies and a good selection of fish to choose from. The most important thing is when you asked him something he knew what he was talking about. My local pet store has less supplies than Walmart and the quality and quantity of stock is terrible. Then you have the large pet chains, plenty of supplies but don't ask any serious questions. Just glad to have a great site like this one to tap knowledge from.

:thumbsup: Great Site!

Greg Richardson
06-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I got back into discus late last year after around 10 years being out.
When I started going to all the pet stores I use to frequent 95% of them were gone replaced by chains like Petsmart. Some of the ones that were left in one I talked to the manager and it wasn't a happy conversation as he described how he use to have 3 of them down to 1 and just hanging on.
I've only seen one pet store with healthy discus since I got back in.
The rest of them they looked like they might fall over and die any minute.
What a shame as that is how many of us got started in the hobby is going to a local store and seeing our first discus which got us going.