PDA

View Full Version : New Discus

aj31655
06-08-2005, 02:34 PM
I just got these let me kow what you think. I was kinda let down but am not sure if I should be.

aj31655
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM

aj31655
06-08-2005, 02:36 PM

aj31655
06-08-2005, 02:37 PM

discusboy777
06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
y so dissapointed those are great discus i would keep them. i like the one in pic 3 great shape in that one.

Brad

Jeff
06-08-2005, 04:29 PM
#3 is not a nice shape at all. The others look ok. A little care and they will come around.

Elcid
06-08-2005, 05:20 PM
How much did you pay for those? What size are they?

thanks,
Sandeep

aj31655
06-08-2005, 06:00 PM
2-3 inches, I paid 385 with shipping, there are 8 of them. All of them came from Great Lakes Discus, after reading what others have posted about his fish I was expecting more honestly. The tangerine has ALOT of pepper for my taste, and I didn't think the shape on the tird fish was great either, the other "Blue Heaven" I got from him is the same way. 2 and 4 are supposed to red Red Leopard Snakeskins, what do you guys think? These are my first discus and I was looking for some more experienced opinions before I called him about them. You were the other guy I was thinking about getting them from to Jeff so your opinion would be nice.

Elcid
06-08-2005, 06:38 PM
My personal opinion is that you could not have got better fish for that price from anyone....I have seen some pics of adults of those fish Cary breeds and they look beautiful. As far as the peppering, you need to paint all your tanks light blue and keep them in soft water. What are you water parameters?

I know we are all looking for A grade fish for $30-$50 range but I have as yet been able to find them in the US...

You only posted pics of 4 fish, how are the others?

take care,
Sandeep

Jeff
06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Just talk to Cary. I'm sure you can work something out with him. For sure 100% of all discus sold are not A grade. These are not junk, just not what you wanted. Talk with him and I'm sure something can be worked out. The worst one is #3 IMO.

Bainbridge Mike
06-08-2005, 07:49 PM
AJ,
I don't think you have anything to be disapointed about. I have some of the same fish (tangerines and Red Leopard Snakes) from Cary arriving at my house on Friday. I should post some pics of the fish I got from another breeder (Not one of our sponsors) 2 months ago--It would make you feel much better!
Mike

aj31655
06-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Moslty it is just all the peppering on the tangerines that had me bummed, he had told me they would be almost pepperless, but I really like the Red Leoprds, just cant find any pics of juvies to compare mine to, so I wanted to know what people thought of them. I have also been looking for violet reflection juvie pics. The one in pic #3 (Blue heaven I think) though is really small and it seems like most smaller discus I have seen aren't quite shaped perfect. My water is at 6.8 most of the time (CO2 for the plants is turned off right now) it is 7.0 right now, temp is 86, been doin 15 gallon WC a day so far, I don't know the general hardness, but I use all RO water and reclaim it with RO right at 2x the dosage they have for for while they are still young,(1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons), Carbonte Hardness is a 4 DkH since I use a pH controlled CO2 injection system, I use Baking Soda for that. Maybe I'll try changing the background color to a lighter one, I was hoping I could get away with black since I have alot of light on the tank (440 watts VHO). The others are about the same. Maybe it is just me, like I said these are the first discus I have ever gotten so maybe I just had me expectations too high, and maybe I just need to be patient and let them reach maturity, and I'll get just what I was hoping for.

Terrybo
06-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I think you are going to be very happy with the Tangerines over time. That is not a lot of peppering for a young pigeon blood strain of discus, especially one that has just been through shipping. Be patient, and your Tangerines will look very nice in a couple of months, as long as you feed well and keep up with water changes.

Terry

Elcid
06-08-2005, 10:40 PM
I'd bet those tangerines had little or no pepper in Cary's tanks! Changing the background will help but I'd better that the peppering will increase as the fish matures in a planted environment. They will still look quite nice though I bet, Cary has good stock so maybe the peppering won't be out of control....Good luck with them!

take care,
Sandeep

goldengatediscus
06-09-2005, 02:06 AM
I think that the fish should be judged for what they are, and the source/breeder should not influence people's opinion. Everyone seems to think, "that's Cary's fish, so it's gotta be great". Well, as Jeff said, not all discus sold are grade A, even from the best breeders. If AJ had said he got the fish from PPP or ZZZ, instead of Cary, would your comments have been the same??

Fish 1 has quite a bit of peppering, but then it looks like you have a dark background. Light background will reduce pepper, but agree that as fish grows, pepper will become more pronounced, especially in planted tank. I do like the shape of that fish though.
Fish 2 and 4 look fine to me. Remember that these are juveniles, and most likely not hormoned.
Fish 3 had lousy shape, eye looks too big in relation to body size, and mouth looks like it has a bit of a snout.

So, overall, the fish are keepers except for #3. If you're going to get Tangerines, or anything with Pigeonblood genes, you better expect some peppering. The higher the quality on the Pigeons, the less peppering you will see.
Brigitte

CARY_GLdiscus
06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Nice to see the fish arrived : )

I will say nothing the advise given is good as gold! And I agree with everyone!

Cary Gld!

jeep
06-09-2005, 07:03 PM
The Tangerine has more pepper than my taste, but MUCH cleaner than a lot I've seen. But then again, I don't like any pepper at all. I agree that tank conditions will increase or decrease the peppering.

The LSS's, on the other hand, look very, very nice!!! I think you will be extremely happy with them as the mature, and if I had the room or money I would get some for myself!!!

Bainbridge Mike
06-09-2005, 07:21 PM
:) I'm getting 4 of the LSS from Cary tomorrow.
BIM

CARY_GLdiscus
06-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Well I'am sorry,

But I'am not Perfect Either! This is all My fault I should of spent more time with You over the phone to see what You were after. I admitt I did not look over Your fish to well and was kinda in a hurry that day But HEY! it happens not the first and not the last!

Just send Me a email and I'll replace the discus Your not happy with

Takecare
Cary + family

Spices
06-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi Cary :wave:

That is very nice of you to fulfill his purchase with a more nicer fish. Good looking out!

*angie*

David_Hui
06-10-2005, 01:46 AM
AJ,

I am not sure it is a good idea to grow these young fish in a planted tank.

David

KD
06-10-2005, 12:47 PM
I have some Gold Diamonds and Red Marlboros from Cary . Some are more peppered than others- I have bare bottom, They got more peppered as time went on- Maybe it's in the genes? I have put light backgrounds and it helps a little - Maybe if I had softer water that could help too- I'm not happy with the pepper but most of them have great shape and growth. I also have Red leapords - a brown based fish - One colored up nicely but I was expecting more blue they are only about a year - Maybe with more time they will color up more.
Now I have to add I have 2 Violet Reflections and Blue Diamonds, They have awesome color and the Violets are my biggest out of all so far. I do have two red Marlboro and one Gold Diamond that I love the color on with little peppering, i have 3 of each. I also have one Jade pigeon blood that surprised me and is a very pretty fish, I've posted it in the photo gallery the subject is testing.
I think when you buy a pigeon blood you are taking a chance because it's in the genes - the peppering. Wish mine din't pepper - OH WELL! Maybe one day I'll try softer water and see what happens or I'll try to sell them.
All of my 15 fish are from Cary all came in perfect health and I have not lost one and I've had them for over a year now.
Cary is super to work with!
Karen

Jeff
06-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Nice offer Cary. It does happen. I have also sent out discus before that I should not have. It happens and will happen again. When you are selecting discus and they are all moving around the tanks sometimes you miss stuff. The most important thing is communication between the buyer and the seller. I know for a fact neither Cary nor myself or most other importers here are trying to pawn off discus to anyone. Mistakes happen and communication is important.

Northwestcoastdisc
06-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree with Jeff about communcation is more important before made order fish.

Cary is still super work, his fish have lot good discus into his stock.

Jeff and Cary are super men!

I hope you will enjoy growing them out into adults!

good luck with your new discus!

Duncan

CARY_GLdiscus
06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Thank You JEFF,
YOU ARE DA MAN! Its just to bad that most buyers do not understand how theses things happen like us!

Thanks again for Your comments means alot to me! Also glad Our road to recovery is doing better between Us Both

Still a friend
Cary + family
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo : )

John_Nicholson
06-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Not all fish are show winners, just like all pictures are not. Looking at the pics and the price that you paid I would say everything is fine. I guess Cary could have poured the hormones to them and the colors would have looked much better now, but then you would have had a tank of dead fish in a year. This is the hard thing for people who first get into discus to understand. It takes patience. Young discus don't look like much until they get older. In that time they change alot. If I was standing in Cary's basement picking fish I probably would not have picked fish number 3 but 6 months from now people might kill to get that same fish. Anytime you deal with livestock its a gamble. Many times I have held back fish for myself and then later disliked them. I have also had times that fish I was planning on selling all of a sudden really came on and I fell in love with them. You just never know.

Hang in there it will work out well.

-john

discus4life
06-10-2005, 03:27 PM
you have a lot of light, how long is your light on a day? on my piegeon bloos tanks my lights are on 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. if i turn off my main light i just leave a night light on. a 5watt light. i was doing a experiment, i have discus at two locations, one tank at my girl frinds house and a lot at mines. the one at my girls friends house. the one at my girl friends house i have it on a timer. light for 8 hours at night and the rest from natural sun light. 4 houes in the dark. after a week i notice peppering. but the ones at my house the lights are on 24 hours a day and seven days a week. no peppering. leaving the lights on it might help.

d4l

KD
06-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I do not intend to insult Cary, hope it was not taken that way. I am just saying if you buy pigeon bloods they do have peppering in the genes. If your buying babies who can really tell what they will turn our to be??? I think you need a close to perfect set up to keep the peppering down. And I'm sure Cary did not intend to sell a substandard fish. You could probablly pay big $ for a baby fish and still have no guarantee you get a perfect adult fish- Am I wrong?
And I think it goes for any type of fish.
I purchased some Jade pigeon bloods that I was not impressed with and was not expecting them to be great when I bought them but my daughter wanted me to buy them anyways and they wound up surprising me to be nice adults , others thought they are BD's here is the link to a previous post about them:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=43478

Cary,
I hope you and the crew (Family) are doing well and you are enjoying the Discus hobby again - that's they way it should be!
Karen

KD
06-11-2005, 08:15 PM
My Favs of the RM's and GD's

KD
06-11-2005, 08:17 PM

KD
06-11-2005, 08:21 PM
When not right on top of these fish they look super .... mixed with my Vr's & Bd's. It's lovely at night with only the tanks on to relaxxxxxxxx...

KD
06-11-2005, 08:23 PM
ahhh

Terrybo
06-11-2005, 11:16 PM
KD -

Love the combination of colors!

Terry

Bainbridge Mike
06-12-2005, 11:09 AM
KD-

That is a lovely collection. I put a recliner in front of my tank and turn on the tank lights, turn off the room lights and kick back. It's the best therapy there is!

Mike

KD
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks Terry! I do enjoy the mix of colors.
Thanks Mike! It is very theraputic - That's my 90 gallon I have a 55 too.
Many nights I fight closing my eyes to enjoy the view.

Barb Newell
06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Nice offer Cary! ;)

This has happened to me too.

If you've netted and bagged fish under the pressure/stress of getting them netted, bagged, packed then getting to the airport on time (praying that there are no traffic jams)... you'll understand that sometimes the wrong fish gets in the net and gets bagged :), sometimes something is missed. It happens.

Barb

Willie
06-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I'm far less concerned with the quality of the fish then with the references to CO2 and VHO lighting. Obviously these fish are going into a heavily planted tank. IMO, they're not going to grow much anyway. Doesn't matter what you start with, but young discus will not reach their potential in that environment. Might as well buy some B-grade adults...

Willie

aj31655
06-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Wow, I thought this thread had stopped a while ago.
Cary, I have to say now that I have gotten used to the peppering(doesn't bother me much at all anymore). Also I did some reading and from the sound of it no matter what since I have a planted tank they will pepper a little bit, plus I have a black background still. I just saw your replies since I didn't think this thread would go this long I hadn't checked back in a while. I do have one question though, the fish in photo #3 that I posted originally, is that a Blue Heaven or a Violet Relfection? Just trying to figure out who is who. All in all I really am alot happier with them then it might have sounded, mostly I was just looking for some opinions. I might have been expecting more since I usually see young discus at work (LFS) from Asia and being used to seeing likely hormoned (or atleast heavily color fed) fish, I just didn't know what I was really looking at. Like I said they are my first discus, now if I could just get them to take pellets....

aj31655
06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm far less concerned with the quality of the fish then with the references to CO2 and VHO lighting. Obviously these fish are going into a heavily planted tank. IMO, they're not going to grow much anyway. Doesn't matter what you start with, but young discus will not reach their potential in that environment. Might as well buy some B-grade adults...

Willie

I would rather have slightly smaller nicely shaped fish, than larger footballs swimming around in my tank. I have seen plenty of very nice fish in similar set-ups, grown from juvies. If I was asking for comments on my set-up I would have asked for them.

CARY_GLdiscus
06-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Blue Heaven : )