PDA

View Full Version : Ten dead discus

Brian_
06-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Well, this morning when I woke up, I turned my head and looked at one of my discus tank and 10 of them are there, on the bottom of the tank... dead. I got up and looked to see if anything was wrong and discovered that my temperature was at 96 degrees fahrenheit. This coming from a heater that doesn't heat above 80 Fahrenheit. I bought this heater from a breeder in Toronto along with the 10 discus and approximately 2 months later... this happend.

Does anyone know anything I could do? Or is seeking repayment for a malfunctioning heater way beyond possible? I am very depressed, I've put in so much time and energy into these amazing fish and now its all gone. I still have 4 approx. 9 month old discus left in a seperate tank but that's it :(

-Depressed.

dishpanhands
06-08-2005, 08:40 PM
sorry to hear about your loose. it is bad when these things happen.
i just wanted to tell you they make a tempature alarm they cost about $35 ballpark price. i know this doesn't help now sorry.

Terrybo
06-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Brian- Sorry to hear about your loss. How horrible to lose 10 discus at once!

I knew several breeders who used to keep discus at 99 degrees to treat illness such as hex, with no problems. Maybe it depends on how quickly the temperature rises?

Terry

Elcid
06-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, can you post specifics on that heater? For example who is it made by? and how do they have the fail safe? Give the breeder you got the fish from a call maybe he is willing to give you a nice deal on some new fish! Good luck!

thanks,
Sandeep

Greg Richardson
06-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Brian so sorry to hear that. I know how involved we get with our fish.
You spend all that time taking care of them and the least problem you can think of comes up to rip your heart out.
This hobby is so expensive I don't have one of those heat alarms either.
I guess I'll have to put that item on my some day want list.
I wish I had some fish to help you and you were close by.
What are you in?
If people knew maybe a breeder near you could help you out?

discusdave
06-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Well, this morning when I woke up, I turned my head and looked at one of my discus tank and 10 of them are there, on the bottom of the tank... dead. I got up and looked to see if anything was wrong and discovered that my temperature was at 96 degrees fahrenheit. This coming from a heater that doesn't heat above 80 Fahrenheit. I bought this heater from a breeder in Toronto along with the 10 discus and approximately 2 months later... this happend.

Does anyone know anything I could do? Or is seeking repayment for a malfunctioning heater way beyond possible? I am very depressed, I've put in so much time and energy into these amazing fish and now its all gone. I still have 4 approx. 9 month old discus left in a seperate tank but that's it :(

-Depressed.

Brian, I'm so sorry about your fish. I don't quite understand about your heater, though. Why would you want a heater that doesn't heat above 80 degrees? Didn't it have a thermostat, and 80 degrees is a bit low for discus anyways. You should do yourself a favor and next time buy a heater that can heat greater than 80. That temp is too low for growing discus.

I have had great success with Ebo-Jaegers, now made by Eheim, and the Hydor flow thru heaters. I'd recommend either to you.

Dave

Spices
06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Brian, sorry you had this problem. From time to time, just for your next tank, check the heaters every week. Sometimes you can prevent accidents like this if you had noticed a problem way before it take place.

I had once made my tank's temp go way up to 95 degrees with no problem (two years ago). Did you not use an air pump?

*A*

RickMay1
06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss....

I don't think their is anything you should do as far as repayment, heaters fail and it's not the breeders fault. never trust a heater, the dang things only have about $0.50 worth of parts. I use two heaters in each tank, both small enough that a single heater would have problems over heating a tank. that way if one fails and sticks on the other will not come on and prevent over heating and also if one quits the other will keep the tempture warm enough until I find the problem.

So in a 55 I usualy have two 100 W or 125 W in a 90 I'll put two larger heaters.

Brian_
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
I live in Toronto.

I was supposed to go and exchange the heater for a new one from the breeder but I had exams and missed it. I told him about it and basically he said he was there to exchange it but I missed it so its my fault.

I don't want to name names or anything to destroy reputation so I'm not going to say who he is. I don't know what I can do now besides wait I guess?
I have 4 adults left, the 2x RSG and 1 Spotted Tangerine and 1 Marlboro X Albino which I got all from Joao. I'm notsure on the exact age, probably 9 or 10 months now.

Thanks to everyone who replied and read.

fishfarm
06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear that, 96 should not be to hot, my fish get that hot every summer out in the hatchery. Spend the money on a good, new heater, why use an old one someone is giving away. I am always amazed how people will spend tons on money on fish and not equipment. I use titainium heaters, they don't stick or break, cost about $35 each. Worth every penny. Ken

Moon
06-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Brian
I know how you feel. I lost six wild altums due to heater failure. It was a used heater that I picked up cheap at an auction. A good lesson learned. Never again will I have used heaters in my tanks.

Northwestcoastdisc
06-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Brain,

I am sorry to hear.

I had the same experince with you.

I lost 3 nicest pairs and carried fry with stupid over cooked heater . the temp was over 120 degree. I can feel the tank too warm as bath tempture.

I lost the pair of Green Snakeskins carry with the fry, the pair of Melon red carry with the fry, and a pair of White Butterfly with a female Yellow pigeon blood with the fry.

I dont like the heater made by won pro heaters which killed my three pairs.
I dont like ebo Jager heaters when I used it for 8 to 9 months the tempture drop down. I turn heat up and never work. but I like old ebo jager heather ( green one) were very good.

Right now I am use heater made by aquarium systems " Eco Therm" are very good stuff. The heaters are working right now for 10 years and no problem.

I would like give you some my babies discus but Right now, I dont have any babies discus this time. I am working with my 3 and 4 pairs. They have not laid eggs yet.

Duncan

Joao
06-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi Brian, i'm very sorry for you. I thought that were my fish, but is allways a loss. We had a thunderstorm this night , maybe the enrgy went down, and when came up the heater got stuck.
i still have the new ebo-jager 200w for a good price if you want give me a call. I only trust in a good heater don't spend less money for an expensive fish.
Take care Brian,

Joao

SantaFeDiscus
06-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Brian-
I empathize with you. I drove all the way to Kansas City to KCDiscus, picked up a load of fish only to realize after I was almost home that my heater never shut off and killed my entire load of fish! Unfortunately it happens. The lesson I learned was to put in smaller sized heaters in my tanks. I used to try and get 3-4 watts per gallon, but now I do less than 2 watts per gallon. If you use a smaller heater your tanks can't heat up to the point were they kill your fish. Don't get too down, it takes a lot of mistakes to build that learning curve.
Fred

Cosmo
06-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Brian,

What a total bummer :( So sorry to hear the news.

I lost a tank of Discus years ago to a malfunctioning heater and have used nothing but ebos ever since w/o problems.

Could be something in conjunction with the 96 that killed them since they should be able to handle that for at least a short while.. water parameters etc were good? meds in the tank?

Hang in there, it's depressing as hell, but live and learn from it and don't give up. Your others still need your care and attention

Jim

delanco
07-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Where do you get them?

April
07-06-2005, 01:35 AM
sorry to hear..i cooked a beautiful white diamond from cary..he was quite spectacular..i could feel the heat radiating when i opened the lid.
i got a great heater..if you can find some in toronto area..called hydor. so far..excellent.

rookie
07-06-2005, 01:21 PM
sorry to hear that the same thing happen to me about two weeks ago 7 little guys in a 20 gal cooked woke up and temp was 100

Eddie
07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Man, buddy sorry to hear about your loss. I'd hate for that to happen to my heaters. I've got the new ebo's and they are right on the mark and I will use them in all my tanks forever.

tpl*co
07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Be careful and an eye on that Hydor, everything I got from that company failed (luckily the heater I had from them was smaller since it stuck too and was only a few months old).

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :(. I agree with getting a good heater. I have Won titanium (so far so good) and some steath heaters on my tank. What issues do people have with the new ebo's?