PDA

View Full Version : parasites in the gills

olof
06-09-2005, 05:33 PM
I have used Praziquantel with my discus but it doesn´t work properly.

So I would like to know any other treatment to clean my aquarium.

Thanks from Spain! ;)

Carol_Roberts
06-09-2005, 06:07 PM
If the prazi didn't work maybe it is bacterial rather than flukes. You can try furan II or Maracyn II. I'd treat in a hospital tank so you don't kill your bio filter

Kagan
06-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi,

Firstly what were the symptoms?

In addition, how did you treat the fish with praziquantel? Wrong treatment will not cure the right disease.

Kagan

olof
06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your answer.

I´m sure it isn´t bacterial, it is internal, because the discus move his head like say no no no... and no eat, and to strach with the leaves of the plant, and the breathing is very quick.

We think prazi is only good while we apply it in the aquarium, but when we finish this treatment the flukes appear again in the aquarium.

Our treatment with prazi is :
3 mg/l. + oxygen (first day-third day-fifth day)
waterchange (second day-fourth day-sexth day).

We repeat this treatment three or four times.

But It doesn´t work! :mad: ,
and we are looking for a new treatment... :confused:

Moon
06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Olof
I also have a similar problem. The head shaking like saying no,no,no. Initially I thought gill flukes so treated with Formaldahyde. Not much change so tried a second treatment. Some recovered but others had the same symtoms. Marginal improvement.
I am now trying Prazi. Just finished the second treatment yesterday. Hopefully it will work.
I am not quite sure what the problem is. Is it gill flukes or something else. There are no other symtoms. These are juvies in a 125g tank. Some are eating and some not. Colour is good but not much in the way of activity.
So if you find out what it is that is ailing the fish let me know

Kagan
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
quick breathing means lots of things. Water, filter, flukes, temperature, feeding all affect it.

I have encountered that saying no no thing in the past. But my fish did not show any other symptoms. Also the situation never went worse.

If it is flukes, the fish doesnt tend to use the gill and hold the fin closed almost sticked to body. The treatment I would recommend is formalin.

BUT if it is bacterial, I would go for what Carol suggested for now.

Can you see any poop? Any thinning??

btw, please clean the tank walls, filter and continue doing the large water changes during this time..

Kagan