PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Hikari Bloodworms

Sara
06-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I would like to know where you people purchase your Hikari frozen bloodworms from? All I can find is Drsfostersmith and their shipping is a bit steep.

Also what make of frozen brine shrimp is best for the Discus?

Thansk so much
Sara

RyanH
06-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Sara,

You can try www.aquaticfoods.com also. I've been using drsfoster&smith but in the quantities that I've been ordering (>10 lbs at a time), a 20 dollar flat shipping fee isn't so bad.

If you know anybody that you can split an order with that helps too.

hth
-Ryan

Elcid
06-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Sara:

I've been getting my Hikari FBW from Dr.Smith as well. I usually order 50 or 60 of the 3 1/2" cubes 3.5 oz as I find it more convenient and you also get a discount when you buy more than a certain amount $2.25 per pack or something like that. My wife does not seem to mind this amount in the back of the freezer ;0) My shipments always arrive frozen, which is the important thing and I believe that the $20 they charge is worth it!.....

take care,
Sandeep

Bainbridge Mike
06-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Sara:
You might try your local pet store. My pet store here on the Island (Paws & Fins) is really small, but they were happy to stock frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp when I asked them to.

Mike

allan_mark76
07-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Why not prepare some BH mix. It's CHEAP and healthier.

gators111
07-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I agree with mike, as long as they carry other hikari products and other frozen foods, a LFS will be more than happy to bring in that product for you. As for brine shrimp brands, I haven't heard of a better brand. Just shop and compare the nutritional values and get the one with the most protein. I also just ran across another site called peticebox.com. but shipping is 22.50

raglanroad
07-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Hikari has the BioPure stuff, but there are a couple of things about their products....
First, my fish, and several other's fish, won't touch Hikari anything if they have the choice.
Second, just smell the difference between Hikari shrimp and Kordon or other good fresh whole shrimp brands...and the amount of broken pieces and mush.
Third, I don't want so much antibiotics in the tank.
Fourth, their Mysis is mysids, not Mysis relicta, I think. Big difference.
But as far as the antibiotics go, you can now get irradiated shrimp instead of medicated from Hikari.

Sally's also stocks bloodworm, and their reputation is good too.

Northwestcoastdisc
07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
I have frozen Hikari Bloodworms, frozen Hikari Brineshrimps, Frozen Mysis shrimps and homemade beefheart. Those food are excellent for any fish. Those food for sale.

Duncan.

raglanroad
07-07-2005, 10:04 PM
If you give fish the choice, they will prefer other brands. Perhaps it is just the coating of vitamins that covers up the smell of fresh seafood, but even a human can smell the difference.
Dave

sam_y
07-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi Sera,

My discus absolutely love Kordon's Golden Gate brineshrimp. They prefer it over Hikari bloodworms (and everything else I've tried except live food). These brineshrimp are aquacultured in ponds rather than harvested from the 'wild'. My only complaint is the low protein content (I *think* about 5%). It makes for a good treat for discus, but it's definitely not an optimal growth food.

http://www.novalek.com/korgd26.htm

Hi Duncan,

Do you use the locally harvested mysis from Piscine Energetics or another brand? I've tried the PE mysis (medium size) with no luck whatsoever.

Moon
07-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Sam
I got a bulk order (20lbs) of mysis from Piscine Energetics from BC. The package arrived in Burlington frozen and good shape. My discus do eat it but prefer frozen blood worms. The African chiclids love it.

sam_y
07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi Joe,

What size of PE mysis did you get? I bought some off of a local hobbyist as small size but got a batch with mixed sizes -- with mostly medium size. My discus (even the adults) would eat the heads and spit out the rest, leaving a cloud of debris. Do your discus eat the whole shrimps? If so, the mysis would be an excellent food. The nutritional analysis on that stuff is really impressive. BTW, what size discus do you feed them to?

Sam

Moon
07-27-2005, 11:27 AM
What size of PE mysis did you get? I bought some off of a local hobbyist as small size but got a batch with mixed sizes -- with mostly medium size. My discus (even the adults) would eat the heads and spit out the rest, leaving a cloud of debris. Do your discus eat the whole shrimps? If so, the mysis would be an excellent food. The nutritional analysis on that stuff is really impressive. BTW, what size discus do you feed them to?

Hi Sam
The mysis I got appear to be small size in 8oz bags. All my discus eat them. My juvies are about 4inches and adults 6inches. Even 2inch discus ate them. It tooka while for them to get used to it. You can try one bag of mine and if it works you can order your own supply. PM me if interested.