PDA

View Full Version : Propane or Gas Heater Suggestions

fshngal
06-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

Looking for input on heaters. We are going to heat our main discus room which is about 250 SF.

It is the garage area with a concrete floor, separated from the house by brick walls and steel door opening into laundry room.

I am looking for input and recommendations for a propane or gas heater from anyone who has experience heating an entire room, instead of heating each individual tank in their hatchery. Or those that have heating experience.

We had been heating each tank individually however, the room at this time of year is 85-90 which sufficiently warms all the tank water to 82 or above. However during the night hours or cooler days, I would like the have the heater maintain the room temp on a consistent basis.

Regards,
Mary

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Using those hang on the wall/ceiling infrared propane heaters are the most efficient you can use as the infrared actually heats the objects in the room, instead of just the air, which will be lost each time a door or something is opened.

-Ryan

dishpanhands
06-13-2005, 01:16 PM
here is what i'm putting in my house it will heat air or water.
http://www.centralboiler.com/models.php

aggie_67
06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Fishgal,

What kind of heat is your house using: ducted hot air, hot water, steam, etc. Is your heat source for your house heating oil, nat'l gas, propane, or electricity?

Your fish room, is it a garage" Are walls and ceiling insulated, floor carpeted (know its bad for water spills, but for heating a room need to insulate the floor somehow.)

Do you have city supplied natural gas or a propane tank?

fshngal
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Ducted Oil heat and hot water. Currently use the hot water in the hot/cold water mixing valve that is filtered through our commercial carbon tanks.

Garage holds heat quite well. Ceiling and three other walls are insulated. Floor is concrete.

Mary

fshngal
06-14-2005, 11:59 AM
The central boilers are quite unique, however, I don't have lots of outside space to accomodate that unit.

Thanks,
Mary

CliffsDiscus
06-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Mary,
Check with your insurance before installing any gas heater, this may void
you insurance.

Reroute central heater ducts near you aquariums.

Call your Electric company if you can get a discount, change of rate schedule. Usually by using 1000KWH or more you may receive a discount.
Install a TOU(time of use) meter can save money by having all of your
electric heaters turn on at the time the electric rates are cheaper.

Cliff

aggie_67
06-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Not sure if I understood your reply, but I'll answer either case.

If you have ducted hot air heat in the house, you could add a supply duct in the attic to heat the garage (assuming it shares a common wall.) A wall grill in the common wall would let the air return to the house. If you have hot water heating you install a radiator in the garage and pipe the hot water to the garage.

Rick00
06-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Another option is putting a pellet stove in the room...They have them now with thermastats...And the pellets are relatively inexpensive..

Rick