PDA

View Full Version : Painting tanks, spray or latex?

Audrey
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I still have to paint the back of my 125-gal tank before I set it up.

I have done some experimenting with spray painting the backs of some of my smaller tanks. I found it to be pretty messy (the over spray) and a big job to cover and tape off the rest of the tank before spraying it. And even though I thought I had enough coats of spray paint on it, I still had light coming through some areas of the back.

Then I tried just painting some flexible insulation and sticking that to the back of the tank. That doesn't look that great either. The color turns out dull and drab after you put water in the tank.

Has anyone tried painting the back with reg latex paint and a brush?
How does that work?

Thanks!
Audrey

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Latex paint works very well and comes off easily when you want it too.

-Ryan

Jeff
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I used latex on all of mine.

john480
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
you can rap the tank with scran rap ,only leaving the side you want to paint open .removes easy if you want to spray it

farm1
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I used enamel for my tanks, works well, don't know about scraping it off though. Latex sounds like the best way to go. 1 quart has lasted for a 155, two 75's, two 55's, several 20's and 10's.

Audrey
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
What type of paint brush would work best?

Thanks!
Audrey

Jeff
06-21-2005, 04:16 PM
I use a roller

Audrey
06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Sweet! Sounds easy enough.

How does it turn out? How many coats do you usually put on?
Do you have to prep the glass at all first, or just make sure it is clean?

Audrey

farm1
06-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Just clean the glass, most all purpose type of paint brush will do. I only use one coat.

troyclark
06-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I use a high quality latex paint and usually use at least 5 coats with a thin nap roller. After the final coat has dried I use Polycrylic by Minwax to help protect it. I painted a few tanks and didn't use a protective finish and water spills caused discoloration and wrinkling in the latex paint. The tanks that I have used the Polycrylic on can withstand a lot of water spillage without hurting the paint. HTH.

Troy

Audrey
06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
5 Coats??? :confused:

How long does it take a coat to dry? I know it takes something like 4 hours between coats when painting walls in a house.

Was hoping to get it painted tonight, so I can begin filling it up tomorrow.
But I don't think I would have time to do 5 coats.

I might go with the painted flexible :( insulation background instead.

farm1
06-22-2005, 02:25 PM
You might consider the enamel then, it is one coat, and ready to use the next day. Only thing is, don't paint in the fishroom. Enamel is very water proof, unlike latex which is water soluble.

tpl*co
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Then I tried just painting some flexible insulation and sticking that to the back of the tank. That doesn't look that great either. The color turns out dull and drab after you put water in the tank.

Audrey

OK, chiming in since I'm getting ready to set up another tank but I don't want to permanently paint the back and bottom of the tank. You said that flexible insulation didn't look good? Has anybody used something that looks good and is removable? (and in case I change my mind on color :)). Also what color looks good with leopards/spotteds blue base, or red fish? (a good all around color to bring out the color of the fish (but not the peppering of my non-leopard pb fish, LOL).

[Don't get mad at me Audrey for putting a question in on your post :)]

Tina

Audrey
06-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey, Tina, glad you are asking ?s, too! :)

No, the flex insulation I painted looks like crap. Everyone that has seen it doesn't like it. But maybe it is just the color I chose? So that is why I am desperate to figure out what is best and easiest and will look nice, too, for my 125. I don't want to paint it with latex or something then I don't like it!

Farm1, I will be painting it in the fish room, but there are no fish in there yet. You have used enamel paint? Does not harm the tank's sealant or whatever?

farm1
06-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Farm1, I will be painting it in the fish room, but there are no fish in there yet. You have used enamel paint? Does not harm the tank's sealant or whatever?

Yes, I have used enamel on my tanks, painted several. It does not harm the sealant, paint is on the outside, sealant is on the inside. I used Rustoleam 'Sail Blue'. I did paint the 155g bowfront in the fishroom last week, then I noticed the fumes were a little overpowering, so I left the windows open all night, and no problems. Everything was fine in the morning, no more fumes.

I too was interested in latex, until I heard about 5 coats of paint.