PDA

View Full Version : Potted plants a good compromise between bare bottom and planted tank

Dillan
06-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Everything I read said to keep discus in a bare bottom tank if you really want them to thrive and grow -- but I ignored that advice when I set up my tank and planted a friggin' forest. Looked great, and the fish really seem to like have plants to forage in and hide in, but it was hard to keep clean without constantly disturbing the plants. When the tank sprang a leak last month, and I had to re-do it anyway, I decided to go bare bottom. I took a whole bunch of my Amazon Swords and planted them in clay pots tho. they look great, the fish love having their plants and hiding places, and it's easy to sypon debris off the bottom.

These fish really like to have hiding places, so I really can't imagine how they'd be as happy in a bare tank. Potted plants seems like a good compromise between bare and planted. If I ever get my camera back from my son, I'll take a picture for you guys. Anyone else going the potted plant route?

Dillan

traco
06-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Being a rookie in discus (have had salt and fresh before),I started the same route as you did. Then after reading/searching this forum, I ended up taking out all the gravel and putting some plants in pots. And I don't even have my fish yet. :)

After trying to clean just the stuff off the glass, I can see it is going to be way easier than having a planted tank. Especially when I get my fish in there too.

So, the best advice you can get is here. Glad I listended and cleaned things up before I got my fish. :D

Barb

Condor
06-23-2005, 06:06 AM
I recently did something similiar with my tank. Now I have a bb with driftwood and java and anubius. Took out the gravel with the intention of putting sand in, though I may leave it as is. I have never been a bb fan, but I have to admit that I am having an easier time with cleaning the tank. I was never able to do it right, but some of the guys here are plant wizards.

-Adrian

markwill
08-28-2005, 03:26 PM
If I ever get my camera back from my son, I'll take a picture for you guys. Anyone else going the potted plant route?

Dillan
Dillan,

Did you ever get that camera? I am very interested in the approach you have taken and particularly the end result visually.

Thanks.

Mark

Greg Richardson
08-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Dillion. I went that route and LOVE it! Fish seem happier and family happy looking at tank with 2 huge amazon swords in it.
Plus I had two runners was able to cut off starts so now I have 8 more.
Only about 4" high right now. Looking forward to having plants for other tanks.

KIWI13
08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
My tank is full of potted plants. I got crypts growing out of Bonsaii pots. They look great.
Potted plants really are a great middle ground. Neither bare bottom, neither the amazon. its the best of both worlds really. Plus it doesnt effect the water changes.
I'll post some pics soon.

Jason

Evan
08-29-2005, 10:42 AM
I set up a tank with potted plants a couple weeks ago. Looks good and still easy to clean.

The fish in my tank are all grown. I think personnally I like having the younger ones in the bare tank to I can see them all more easily to make sure they all eat etc.

markwill
08-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Someone, somewhere has to have a picture :-) The thing I'm going to be interested in is the degree to which the heaters and filters are hidden. That's the biggest problem to me in terms of the wife accepting such a tank. Most every picture I've seen positively emphasizes the "plumbing" :-)

Mark

Sindhu
08-29-2005, 01:55 PM
G'day Folks,
interesting post as I myself am going through the same trip with my new 6x2x2 show tank, built into a wall. I have potted plants, driftwood (some small ones with plants attached) and about less than 1" sand as substrate. Was hum ho about it as I have been a BB tank guy since I was bitten by the Discus bug 4 years ago. Had my share of planted tank before and wat it takes to maintain them and now reality strikes. Arrrrrrrrr! the sand is getting filthy and time to do my 1st WC. Guess i'll remove the sand after all as I don't have that much spare time after attending to my 40+ tanks in my fish room.

Anyway, the tank has 2 built-in wet/dry and I added a spray bar as 1 of the return is really strong. Since Mark has asked for photos, I did managed to collect many from the start of the project (LS guys came over and custom bulit it) till the end. So, here's a few for starters:
trimming extra silicone

Sindhu
08-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Wet/Dry Filter Chamber

Sindhu
08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
with 7 Discus and 1 Ram

Sindhu
08-29-2005, 02:01 PM
another photo

Sindhu
08-29-2005, 02:02 PM
last

KIWI13
09-04-2005, 04:57 AM
Ok my tank is no where near as big as sindhu's but here is a pic I promised.

KIWI13
09-04-2005, 05:03 AM
another

KIWI13
09-04-2005, 05:05 AM
Ok so I swear there are discus in this tank but they are camera shy

ppv1951
09-09-2005, 07:32 PM
have to agree..... BB for ease of cleaning..... potted plants for esthetics. for you guys potting your own, what kind of medium are you potting them in (soil)?

pat.

cobaltblue
09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Jason, i like your potted tank. Might even consider changing my tank over.
( wish i hadnt just bought 150.$ worth of flora substate though. ) I see a potted tank can look pretty nice. I have two pieces of driftwood with java fern growing out of it. Would those still be ok to keep in the tank, plus my big piece of driftwood can stay too right, or should all driftwood be taken out...
I would not like to have to do that, but would if i need to.
ps...what did you use to plant them in...soil? substrate?? sand??
Chris.

fishmasterno1_2@msn.com
09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I just step up a 75 gallon this way. I will post some pics of it before the end of the weekend.

fishfan
09-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Another option is to convert the sump to a planted tank. With amount of daphnia I feed had to add some fish to the plant section of the sump to eat the daphnia that found its way down there.

Dillan
10-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Yay -- finally figured out how to post pics in a message!

Here are 2 pics of my potted plants tank:

http://www.geocities.com/dillan416/images/fish1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/dillan416/images/fish2.jpg

I took these pics in July -- have since lost my big Red Turq and acquired a bunch of Pigeon Bloods, but the plants still look the same!

Dillan

ppv1951
10-07-2005, 09:32 AM
nice looking plants dillan. nice and healthy.

something i've never seen anyone address here is the idea of the fish having something in the tank too..... something other than 4 walls..... a cell.

nice job dillan.

pat.

Spices
10-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice work everyone. I too enjoy a semi-planted tank. Here are mines.

Spices
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Here's a wide angle shot and with no flash (camera defect).

Spices
10-07-2005, 10:17 AM
And overhead in background view... where the riccia is hidden and the red shale lies against backwall of tank. I only vacuum mulm from the bare floors surrounding the floral centerpiece, behind this red shale and slightly in the center. --angie--

KIWI13
10-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Angie dear, thats looking great....... I love the BIG ROCK

:)

Spices
10-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks Jas Dearest!!! :D Those German Blue Rams are cute too. Like little colorful :angel:s without the long veils/fins.

candyl70
10-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Hey all,
I have posted this question in two other threads with no response, so maybe here? I was wondering how one would go about taking OUT the gravel so that i could go bare bottom. Would i have to remove my fish when i do that to a bucket? Or could i just scoop out the gravel with a big plastic cup? I am thinking about keeping the plants i have and potting them, and dumping the gravel. It has been pretty hard keeping it clean. And i vaccum at every water change (everyother day 30%).

Candy:coffee:

markwill
10-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Hey all,
I have posted this question in two other threads with no response, so maybe here? I was wondering how one would go about taking OUT the gravel so that i could go bare bottom. Would i have to remove my fish when i do that to a bucket? Or could i just scoop out the gravel with a big plastic cup? I am thinking about keeping the plants i have and potting them, and dumping the gravel. It has been pretty hard keeping it clean. And i vaccum at every water change (everyother day 30%).

Candy:coffee:
I just did the plastic cup thing. No problem...

Mark

Griz
10-21-2005, 01:35 AM
This is something I've thought about doing, but I don't believe I've ever seen photos of it. I thinks it's a great compromise between esthetics, the health of the fish, and maintainance. Your tanks look great! Any more out there?

candyl, how heavy is your gravel? If it's light enough to siphon, you could always vacuum it out while doing your water changes.

candyl70
10-21-2005, 02:06 AM
The gravel (i'm not sure of the size) comes up the tube half way. Underneath that is the flourite, and i can usually siphon some of that stuff up. I guess once i get tired of scooping i can try and siphon up the bottom stuff. I bet i could siphon it all if i had a bigger siphon. Just thinking out loud. :p Thanks for the quick responses guys. :) When i start to get rid of the gravel i'll post some pics. Right now my fish are still sick and i don't want to stress them out even more, or release any bacteria or anything. Thanks again.

Candy:sun:

Dillan
10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Hanging out in a bucket while you remove your gravel shouldn't be tooooo stressful. Better than being in the middle of the messy chaos of removing gravel. I'd take them out and change your tank right over away, ESPECIALLY if your fish aren't doing well...

candyl70
10-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the advice discusnut. I put the fish in a bucket, drained the water and scooped out all the gravel. It's a little bit murky looking because i couldn't get the last little bits out, but the filter should have that cleared up soon. They seem much better already, they are swimming around and checking everything out. I even see them pecking at the floor for food! I gotta say though, the whole process was pretty nasty, all the gunk that came out of the rocks really stunk!:o I am glad to have that whole process over. Thanks again for the advice.

Thankfully,
Candy:)

Dillan
10-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Haha... stinky gunk... yup, that's why discus do better with no gravel! keep us posted on how quickly your fish improve!!!

D

candyl70
10-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks, I will keep ya updated. Once i get some batteries for the dig. cam. i will post a pic too. By the way, i really like the way your tank looks with the potted swords and the drift wood. I kept my drift wood in there so they have somewhere to hide out if they want. What size is your tank?

Dillan
10-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey, thanks... glad you like it. So do my fish and I!

Funny you should mention the driftwood... I was just looking at it last night and noticing that all the guck that I wipe off the glass twice a week is obviously accumulating on the driftwood. I think I'm going to take it out today and scrub it down.

That big piece of driftwood has a nice "cave" under it that is the object of many, many territorial battles all day, and the fishes favourite place to cuddle up together (haha... after fighting all day!) to sleep.

D

Dillan
10-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey, thanks... glad you like it. So do my fish and I!

Funny you should mention the driftwood... I was just looking at it last night and noticing that all the guck that I wipe off the glass twice a week is obviously accumulating on the driftwood. I think I'm going to take it out today and scrub it down.

That big piece of driftwood has a nice "cave" under it that is the object of many, many territorial battles all day, and the fishes favourite place to cuddle up together (haha... after fighting all day!) to sleep.

BTW - my tank is about 50 gallons, which is fine for the 4 x 4" fish in there now but I think I'm going to get a 75 gallon soon since I have 4 x 2" fish in another nursery tank. I'll be putting them all together around Christmas time I think. Does Santa deliver aquariums?!

D

candyl70
10-22-2005, 04:34 PM
D,

When I was taking out the gravel and i grabbed the driftwood, i noticed that it was all slimy and gross. I think i will have to do the same. Have you had any experience with Java Moss? My tank is still a little stinky and i don't know if i have a piece of wood that is going bad or if it could be the moss. :p

Dillan
10-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Yikes... I'm embarassed I didn't do that earlier! My driftwood has been in there almost a year now... I didn't realize until I took it out and scrubbed it just how yucky it was! It didn't really stink, but a lot of slimy stuff and loose debris came off it. My tank hasn't been clean enough lately... I did this, and I pruned all the plants too. There were a bunch of older leaves that were as slimy as the driftwood, so I pinched them all way back.

Oh... and I also put a Cory in there to help clean things up! I'm expecting sparkling clear water from now on! ;)

D

traco
10-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Just wondering if you guys with driftwood in your tanks, do you have plecos in there also to keep things clean?

candyl70
10-23-2005, 05:39 PM
D,

Ick! Who knew it could get so gross... i took all but one piece out because they were stinky and slimy. The last piece in there now is the newest. Guess what??! They are all better! Today was the 2nd treatment and its the end of the 48hrs, and they are coming to the glass for food, not hiding, not black, and no more extra slimy stuff. The medicine I got thankfully worked. Now that they are better i'm going to wait a few weeks, but i'm thinking of getting some ocean greens. Maybe 2. heeehee.

T,

I don't have any plecos in the tank, just two cory's to help keep the bottom clean. It's funny, the slide all around looking for food.

I'm just soooo happy they made it through. I'm going to hunt for my rechargeable batteries so i can take a picture of the tank. :D

Candy

candyl70
10-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Here is a pic of one of my checkerboards who was black last week, doing better with no gravel. :)