PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good match-up for a red/white?

tpl*co
06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
I have a purebred red/white that looks like will be a girl (I had a lot of breeding activity and her tube was down without laying and it looks like a girl).
Well, I could kick myself that I only got one red/white at the time, should have gotten more. What would be a good mate for this fish? Should I look for another male red/white, or will a marlboro or melon be good? What were red/whites derived from? (or does anybody have a red/white male?)

Carol_Roberts
06-22-2005, 03:32 PM
What adult males do you have? A leopard would be good

tpl*co
06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, the sure fire male that I do have is a red turquoise. I may have a young pidgeon snake male though (don't know for sure, but he's definitely getting long fins and my sure fire male doesn't tolerate him much which makes me think it's a boy). I do have some young leopards in the other quarantine tank including a young dragon king that may be a boy (too young to tell though). Do you think one of these would be a good match? What kind of babies would this produce? My red white isn't barred, would this cause peppered babies?

tpl*co
06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
OK, had to check some previous posts to see what kind of leopards I had, I have red spotted leopards and a dragon king, but they are too young yet to see who's who in the boy or girl department (about 4 inches now).

Carol_Roberts
06-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Only pigeons have pepper. Try the turquoise :)

tpl*co
06-22-2005, 07:02 PM
What kind of babies will this match up produce? My turquoise has eyes for another manderin female or a pidgeon lol, he likes red heads, but he's in a tank full of red girl fish :).

dirk50merc
06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Lucky Dog he should know by now that red heads have fierce tempers LOL :o

ronman
06-24-2005, 09:25 PM
A golden will be a good match and you get about 50% of each. thats what I got anyway, R/W & Orange fish .hth

ron

tpl*co
06-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Is that a golden pb? I've got some of those too.

Sindhu
06-25-2005, 09:36 AM
these is one of a juv from a Brown & Redwhite parents

Sindhu
06-25-2005, 09:40 AM
with sibling

Sindhu
06-25-2005, 09:45 AM
and last, the parents, might be wrong about it being Brown?

ShinShin
07-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I suggest another red/white. I see no reason for all the ridiculous crosses I see people doing. If one is going to breed discus, it ought to be done in a logical order, not some haphazard manner. One ought to breed to improve an already existing line of discus, or to create a bonefide new strain. With all the mutts being bred and sold today, its a miracle anyone knows what they have.

This opinion I share with the "Great Old Man' of discus, as he stated once in an article.

tpl*co
07-06-2005, 10:06 AM
I have another red/white and a white diamond coming tomorrow that I hope are males (asked to see several pictures of them and they have the long fins, but they are only a little over a year old, fingers crossed!)