PDA

View Full Version : Plan my fishroom...

steelheaderdu
06-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I'll be moving into my new house in the beginning of August complete with a full basement. I am planning on setting up a fish room this fall/winter when I get the basement finished off. Here it is... A clean slate for you artists to work on. Here's what I'd like to do: Keep 4 or 5 different strains of discus (6 adults each and maybe 6 or 8 misc adults), only the best quality and some rare/hard to obtain varieties. I'd like to maintain 4 or 5 breeding pairs (with the possibility of expanding double that in a few years). I currently have 6 29 gallon tanks in storage for breeders, but I've been thinking about going with some new 30 gallon Acrylic tanks. I will not be drilling these tanks, each will have it's own sponge and heater. Here is what I already have:

-all my sponge filters
-all my heaters
-6 29 gallon tanks
-2 20 gallon tanks
-1 55 gallon
-1 75 gallon

What else would you add to these?
How big would you make the room?
How much would the acrylic tanks run?
Is a budget of $2500 realistic with the above request (excluding room contruction)?

Some pictures and suggestions would be awesome. I'm sure a few of you out there can help with this request. Thanks for your time.

farm1
06-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Hello everyone,

4 or 5 different strains of discus (6 adults each and maybe 6 or 8 misc adults),

5 strains x 6 adults + 8 misc adults = 38 adults = 38 tanks

IMO

quite a bit more than you have to start with

What size tanks do you want to add, and how much room do you have? Not to mention grow outs, and QT tanks. What do you want for filtration? central air?

steelheaderdu
06-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Do I really need 1 tank per fish? I was thinking of 5 75 gallon tanks. Each tank would have 6 adults of the same strain in them (I don't like crossing discus- I just think it adds to the confusion already out there). Then I'd have 5 29 gallon tanks--1 for each pair. Then I was thinking about 5 55 gallon tanks and a couple 29s for grow outs and juveniles. This would bring my tank total to 15-18. I'll have a couple of small quarantine tanks somewhere else in the house.

5-75s Grow out breeders
5-55s Grow out fry
5-29s House breeders
a couple misc. tanks for quarantine

Do I really need more than this for 38 adults?

Can I grow out 6 fish to their full potential in a 55 gallon tank? I will be doing water changes almost everyday at least 5 days a week. Thanks for your opinions.

John

steelheaderdu
06-26-2005, 04:24 PM
How easy (and expensive) is it to put in a central air system? The room will be 10' by 20' and I was planning on using individual sponges in each tank. I know I want individual filtration for each tank-- keeping things simple. I won'tbe drilling any tanks, I don't think....

alpine
06-26-2005, 05:22 PM
John , I started building a small fish room. I am new to this. I built two long 10 feet wood stands and have 4 75 gallon tanks on them and will have four 29 gallon breeder tanks. My plan is to get six of each strain on each 75 gallon, pick the best and hope the best pair up and have three or four pairs all together. I figure I can grow my juveniles in a 75 tank to maturity. I have a problem with room since my 10 x 20 room is above the garage with slanted walls so I can only go one tier of 75 tanks. I really believe , hope , I am not wrong that I can grow those juveniles to maturity in the 75 gallon tanks and six to a tank and then use those tanks to grow the babies.

look into " Butch " post on the water change piping he has in his room . It looks Great to me.

Best of luck on your Room.

roberto.

Butch
06-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I think you have to have a central air system. I have included a pic of
my air pump I bought from Jehmco. I have included the link. I used
the 45watt pump and bought the valves and tap from John at Jehmco.
It real easy to install a valve where ever you want it on the pvc. Just
drill the right drill size and then tap with the tap he sells. I used a cordless
drill for both jobs, takes about a minute to install a valve. This pump will
supply a lot of air.

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Central_Air_Pumps/45_Watt_Pump/45_watt_pump.html

Next is pic of valves installed on pvc in operation.

Butch :)

Butch
06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Here are the valves in operation.

alpine
06-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey Butch, are you sure you will not be taking a business trip though kentucky sometime ???? I sure like to do the things you have done in my fishroom...

I guess I will look at your pictures and ask the questions I need answers for..
Great Job..

roberto.

Butch
06-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks Roberto....but there is nothing to anything I do. All of it is
just straight forward stuff. I was lucky to find John and Jean up at
Jehmco with all their need stuff and good prices. I like the personal
service. They are super easy to talk to, they know the business and
they really know their products. They have saved me from a bunch
of mistakes.
But go for it Roberto....I will be glad to talk you through it.
Is Kentucky on the way to Fort Worth :D Just kidding ;)
Plan on going there for the ACA show in July.

alpine
06-26-2005, 08:55 PM
I will be there . It would be nice to meet you and talk to you about the ways to set up this system. I have spoken to John at Jehmco and he has been extremely helpful.
How will I recognize you at the ACA ...will you be wearing a Cajun T shirt or something like that ????

roberto.

Butch
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Go to "Faces to Name #2", my wife and I are the second to last
post.
You will probably be able to hear me first. My wife says I can
get loud at times. Look for the guy staggering around in shock
at seeing all the great fish. Look for drool too.

alpine
06-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Butch, I will be there I think on thursday. I just posted a picture on faces #3 picture #14.

see you there. Maybe we get a chance to talk about all that piping.

roberto.

steelheaderdu
06-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the helpful info. I think I'll be using a central air system instead of individual pumps. Now I just need to get the cash, finish the house, find the time, and pick out the fish.... I appreciate the input.

John