PDA

View Full Version : I caress mine, do you?

frenchdiscus
06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
I knew you guys would be curious!!! http://forum.simplydiscus.com//images/icons/icon10.gif
Anyway, I would like to know if anybody experiences the same complicity with there Discus...
When I work on the tank (w/c, wiping walls, etc...) they always come and bug me to the point that I touch them and also caress them... Two of them come and wait for it!!! Do Discus enjoy that?

Like my wife always says... they are not fishes but dogs, at feeding time they waggle there tail like a dog http://forum.simplydiscus.com//images/icons/icon7.gif. I have to admit... she has a point http://forum.simplydiscus.com//images/icons/icon6.gif

Olivier

frenchdiscus
06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I will take pictures next time!

Mountain Man
06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I sure do specially the male loves to touch me when I clean and does not run away ! it seems to be the only one that will do that my 3 other discus shy away in a corner during cleaning!!!!!!!!

but I do talk to them even now as they are taking care of the wigglers....about 100 or so should be free swimming this evening ! then the fun starts !:)

sidra
06-28-2005, 12:37 PM
My group of "babies" (ages from 3 to 6 months) peck at my fingers but my three adults allow me to run my hand along their sides, run my finger along their dorsal fins and will rest in my cupped hand. I think it's cool.

RyanH
06-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Two of my adults will let me pick them up out of the water with my bare hands. I moved them around quite a bit before I moved last year and it seemed to have stuck. It's a nice trick when I want to entertain guests. :)

frenchdiscus
06-28-2005, 02:20 PM
That is really cool Ryan!!!

Spices
06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Same here. I can get my lil ones in my hands and cradle them up to the top of the tank. In fact the adults would be the first to make the skid marks. :D
I occasionally rub their lil tummies due to bloat. It works. *A* ;)

nacra99
06-29-2005, 02:18 AM
My my...Olivier... that's certainly a thread title that screams "GOTTA CHECK THIS ONE OUT!!!" lol....

But yea...After lots of handfeeding training, my adults would let me pick them out of the water without struggling too much. I agree with Ryan... great way to entertain the guests! My friends are asking me to teach them how to do the same so that they can impress their girlfriends! lol..

Marc

frenchdiscus
06-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Hi Marc,

Glad you like the punch line! :rolleyes2 (http://forum.simplydiscus.com//misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

KIWI13
06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I notice some strange behaviour goin on here :p

My discus were always savages, hiding in their planted tank and now they are too young to caress. They just wanna eat. BUT...................

I used to caress pretty much every single oscar I ever owned and bred. Now theres a fish to caress, Big and strong and so full of personality.

LOL

Jas

Audrey
06-29-2005, 03:42 PM
I have been petting my discus. First I feed them a little, then I dangle my hand in the water, and they all swim up thinking, "Alright!!!...Seconds!!!" Then I start petting them. Most will slowly swim away, but a few stick around and let me touch them. I love it!

Canuck
06-30-2005, 05:29 AM
I notice some strange behaviour goin on here :p

My discus were always savages, hiding in their planted tank and now they are too young to caress. They just wanna eat. BUT...................

I used to caress pretty much every single oscar I ever owned and bred. Now theres a fish to caress, Big and strong and so full of personality.

LOL

Jas

I have been mega busy doing a lot of stuff, but yes, Oscars are cool and I suspect that the tetras I have won't last much longer. This oscar is about 12"! I also have 2 more plecs that were given to me from a friend that is moving out of state less than 48 hrs ago. So monster, medium and small plecs won't go well w/ discus. However, he is doing well so far. I am hoping to get him so I can pet him or at the very least hand feed him. My monster plec likes to nibble on my fingers. It feels like a cat licking your hand. Plecs are incredibly goofy but I like them none the less.