PDA

View Full Version : please help me i need quick advice

discusboy777
06-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi.
i was cleaning out tanks getting them ready to cycle back up for a freind of mine who imports he is currently on vaction and though he had gottan rid of all his discus and as i was cleaning out the tanks i found two discus that acceditely got left behind for about 3weeks with no light no heat no filters no air ect. I brought the 2 fish home today a 4.5in yellow pigeon blood and a 3in blue diemond. does any one have any advice about how i should go about on medication? they where in 75-80 degree water with no food for 3 weeks.

Please help.
Brad

Andrew Soh
06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello Brad,
3 weeks is alright with discus. If they do not show sign of stress, forget about treatment. No point treating against nothing. Just add 100gm of salt to 100liter of water to prevent dehydration.

What should be done is to feed them once a day in small quantity for the next 3 days...and graduate to 2 times for the next one week and if you like and feel safe, increase to 3 times a day.

Another most important thing to do is to make frequent water-change even if you are not feeding a lot. In fact this is a norm for discus, but in your case, more changes are needed because the hunger may have stressed them...so their immune defense may have dropped.

In a normal setting, there are bacteria all over and inside the tank. Some are nitrifying bacteria, some are opportunistic bacteria...only causing harm when there is a chance, while some (which is seldom in a optimum setup) are pathogenic bacteria.

One very common bacterium that is constantly in healthy tanks is the mycobacterium which is an opportunistic bacterium that causes T.B.. They are constantly found at the bottom whether the tank is cleaned and debris siphoned once or ten times per day....so since that 2 discus are already stressed....WC helps to remove as much mycobacterium as possible to prevent the discus from ingesting them.

Just a Thought!
Warmest regards,
Andrew :angel:

discusboy777
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
thank you very much Andrew.

Andrew Soh
06-28-2005, 09:05 PM
:) Hello Discusboy777,

You are most welcome

warmest regards,
Andrew :angel:

alpine
06-28-2005, 09:11 PM
50 minutes for a quick answer for help.....that is pretty Good.

So Glad we have this Forum.

roberto.

discusboy777
07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Thansk for the advice every one the blue diemond is doing awesome and starting to fatten up a bit. But i hvae a problam with the gold dragon still it developed a head standing problem any advice on what i should do?

Regards.
Brad

ShinShin
07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Salt to prevent dehydration? Please explain.

Mat

jeep
07-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Brad,

Does it look bloated? You may try epsom salts at 1 TBS per 10 gallons and see if it helps. Otherwise it may be an infection. Kanamycin is good on internal infections...