PDA

View Full Version : Use Marine Salt w/ Discus????

justafishguy
06-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Can I use my KENT salt for marine tanks for Discus treatment?? Is it the same salt as epsom salt, just w/ minerals and vitamins??? Please let me know. I need to put some salt in, but i dont want to buy more if i dont have too. Thanks.

Andrew Soh
06-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi,
I don't think there is a need to put marine salt in normal municipal water. They have more than enough minerals and trace elements. If you are adding salt for the purpose of preventing dehydration or treatment, normal sodium chloride should work well.

If you are using distill water for your discus...oopss....then marine salt can be added..minus the Sodium Chloride....I think...never tried.

Warmest regards,
Andrew :angel:

Andrew Soh
06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
OOppss!!! :p ,
forget to add that epsom salt is magnesium sulphate.....used for bowel movement when you have a constipation...........he!!!!!!

Spices
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
You can use Kosher salt if you have any in your kitchen. It is just as good. Occasionally I will use the sea salt but not too much, if I run out of Kosher salt. The rule of thumb 2 tablespoonfuls per ten gallons water.

Hope this works.
*A*

Carol_Roberts
06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Kosher salt and marine salt are not for constipation. Use Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulphate). Kosher salt is Sodium Chloride and marine salt is sodium chloride plus other minerals.

Andrew Soh
06-29-2005, 07:11 PM
:) Hello there,
If you are using salt for treatment....use the plain salt. In US, there may be a brand name for it...but in Singapore, it is just called 'salt'

Discus can tolerate 200gm or 0.44lb of salt per 22gallon of water. This level is good but will affect the plants in the tank. Nitrifying bacteria is not affected. This level of salinity (2ppt) long bath can stop 'ich', 'Velvet' and prevent dehydration of fishes including discus. ;)

REgards,