PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Clear 500 vs. Emperor 400...and the winner is???

samcatj
07-02-2005, 10:05 PM
The Aqua Clear 500 and Emperor 400 seem to be two of the most widely used filters on the market.

So the question is which one do you like and why? Is one actually better as far as the job that it does and it's dependability?

Thanks and let me know,

Samcatj

rookie
07-03-2005, 03:32 AM
aqua clear 500 thats what i have works fine

Scott S.
07-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Well, the Aqua Clear pushes 500 gph, while the Emperor pushes 400 of course. They are very similar in price. I've always used Emperor's and have never had any problems with them. I do like the "bio-wheel" feature.

You make the call, they both run about $59.99 new at petco.com.

KD
07-03-2005, 09:07 AM
I use Aquaclear and like it.
I'd go with petsolutions.com for either one you choose, they are approx. $35.00 and $38.00 . They have good prices on other aquatic supplies too.
Have a great day!
Karen

RyanH
07-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Both are good filters and will do well for you. I'm also an AquaClear fan though and am using them exclusively right now for my power filters.

If you pay more than 35 bucks or so for a 110 you are paying too much. You can often even find them on sale for 28-30.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22129;category_id=1721;pcid 1=2885;pcid2=

http://www.petsolutions.com/AquaClear+110+Power+Filter-I-15510620-I-C-22-C-.aspx

-Ryan

fatcat777
07-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Aqua Clear wins hands down.

1. moves more water
2. sponges are easier than cleaning out carbon from the emp filters
3. easier to prime
4. cost is a little cheaper
5. easier to clean
6. soooo much easier to clean

cleaning the emperor is a huge PITA. Removing the spray bars and cleaning them out sucks. Of course all of this is my opinion but it appears most people agree. The biowheels are good for adding oxygen to the water, but i assume everyone is using a air pump driven sponge.

Aqua Clear is the best.

Jason

Carol_Roberts
07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I've had both and replaced the Emperors with Aqua clears. The AC's are quieter, hold more media, easier to clean and easier to use a prefilter sponge.

BigDaddy
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I have both.. and each have their pros and cons.

Emperor

I do like the bio-wheels for two reasons

1) Increased oxygen content in the water column (not using air driven sponges)

2) Minimal risk of impacting the biological filter during filter cleaning.

Plus.. with the emperor, you get an extension that is MORE than enough for even the tallest tanks... with the AC you'll pay for the extra extensions.

And I find there is less turbulence in the tank with the Emperor than the AC (big pro if you have planted tanks).

That being said

ACs have the best media layout hands down. Vertical water flow through the media instead of horizontal flow means you get great biological and mechanical filtration.

AC sponges last forever.... emperor filters... I don't use the carbon inserts, I use the beige additional filter containers and load 'em with filter floss for mechanical filtration... but it needs to be changed fairly regularly. Either way, you'll pay more in the long term for media

ACs are quietier. The Emperor has a second pump strictly to drive the biowheels... two motors are always going to be noisier than one.