PDA

View Full Version : Put discus in my tank, How?

tarantula
07-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Well my aquarium is ready:

75 gallons BB tank
filter acuaclear 500
1 hydrosponge V
1 month running
amonia 0
nitrate less 20ppm
gh 17
kh 6
ph 8

I think buy 7 juvenile discus but the water in the pet store have ph 7.2 gh 3 kh 2, the water parameter are very diferent
How add the discus in my tank?

thanks

jeep
07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I've never had a problem just opening the bag, reaching in and grabbing them and dropping them in. If they are coming from close by, you can place the bags in the tank and slowly add tank water to tha bags...

Cosmo
07-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Nitrates are still too high for a BB, do a large WC before you add the fish :)
Jim

Carol_Roberts
07-05-2005, 09:47 PM
How did you cycle your filter? Have you been feeding it ammonia to keep it alive? If yes, remember to do a 90%+ water change prior to adding the discus.
Since your pH is higher than the store pH you can just reach in the bag and plop the discus in the tank.

BigDaddy
07-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Forgive my ignorance... but I thought it was always safer putting fish into a tank with lower TDS than one it came from, and that caution needed to be used when introducing a fish to a tank with a higher TDS value.

Carol_Roberts
07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
TDS and pH are two different things. A big swing down to lower pH will burn (acid water) the fish - whereas discus can tolerate a fairly big jump up in pH.

BigDaddy
07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes... I know that TDS and pH are different measurements, but they are related (high TDS usually means high pH).

And my apologies... must have had a brain fart... going from high to low TDS will kill fish because of their osmoregulatory system being used to higher total dissolved solids. The cells actually burst because they can't expel fluid fast enough....

But... I was sort of right... low TDS to high TDS can be harmful to fish as well... same reasons but different effect - the fish essentially dehydrates. However, the results are less severe and less likely to be fatal in the short term.

Moral of the story... try not to transfer fish from one extreme to the next. :D

Willie
07-10-2005, 11:09 AM
In general, none of that stuff applies to putting discus into a tank of fresh water. Regardless of the source, the discus I get via mail order get dumped into my quarantine tank without acclimation. It always works.

Willie