PDA

View Full Version : Lets see your Orange scorpian's!

MoOcHiE525
07-06-2005, 01:42 AM
While I was going through some previous posts I came across a strain that really appealed to me. The Orange Scorpion. This fish does not look pigeon based because of the markings on it's gill plate, but I read somewhere that this strain can have peppering. Can anyone post a picture of their Orange scorpion discus, I am interested to see them.
Thanks so much-Mike

RyanH
07-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey Mike,

The Orange Scorpion is a pb-based strain with snakeskin genes. They are from discman123 who is a sponsor of this site. I've grown out a few batches of his fish and have sold them to a couple of locals in my area as well as some pet shops.

As luck would have it, a few recently turned up in the tank of a hobbyist in Lansing, Michigan.

Pics can be seen here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=44165

and here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=44149

hth
-Ryan

fishfarm
07-07-2005, 08:45 AM
The orange scorpion was developed by Koay Lock in Penang, Maylasia about 15 years ago by crossing nice leopard snakeskins with orange based pigeons. Made him famous and somewhat wealthy! Since then lots of other people have used his stock and worked with it to improve the strain. Look at this thread .http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=44142 Same type fish created by crossing LSS with yellow crystal. Ken

JimmyL
07-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Here are some of the fish I created and used to breed exclusively for a breeder in Asia. I don't breed them anymore. I've sold all breeders to an Asian breeder just before getting involve in wild discus. I should have kept some and put some Red spotted Green in them. An intermediate fish for the golden leopard SS
Jimmy

JimmyL
07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
A different one from the same brood.

JimmyL
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM
This one was sold to a Japanese breeder 2 years ago and had won many prizes in fish show in Japan and China.
Jimmy

Discusgeo2
07-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Those are nice Jimmy, too bad you didn't keep a few.
George

allan_mark76
07-07-2005, 02:40 PM
DROOL................

Northwestcoastdisc
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
SWEET, They are so lovely!

I had nice orange scorpians. I hope I have some photos in my file.

Duncan

Northwestcoastdisc
07-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Here is my Orange Scorpians

Northwestcoastdisc
07-07-2005, 10:09 PM
another one

Northwestcoastdisc
07-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Last one pattern is nice but bad shape I wanted to fixed the shape. Right now I don't have any OS.

Duncan.

David_Hui
07-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Jimmy,

Do you have pictures of the off spring of your fish? They look awesome...

Here are some of mine ...

Just Golden Sunrise x SnakeSkin and F1 at that only about 15% are like these.

David

MoOcHiE525
07-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Wow, these are all such beautiful fish! I want to get my hands on some but I have to wait about a month for my tank to be up and cycled. The pattern's on your fishes areamazing! Keep them coming!
Mike

Northwestcoastdisc
07-07-2005, 11:13 PM
They are awesome colorful, pattern, but shape are not great what i was doing working on the shape. maybe I will restock the orange scorpians.

Duncan

JimmyL
07-08-2005, 07:42 AM
The best way to improve shape is to inject a bulldog genes in them. If you don't have a bulldog. Find a high fin high body "Reflection D" or "Blue knight" or "Violet reflection" to cross with your fish. At least 50% of the F1 fries will be egg shape. 2-5% Bulldogs if you are lucky depending on how much bulldog genes in intermediate fish. In-breed the F1 will have majority of fry F2 in a very round body. If possible call Kumlinstropical to get a true Bulldog to cross with your fish.
All my fish including the F3 Wild crosses have Bulldog genes in them to imporve the shape. The orange Scopian are the F2 from a Cobalt Bulldog Male. You may be able to see the cobalt genes in them.

Cobalt bulldog (Reflection D) X SS = F1 Hi fin Hi body blue SS.
F1 X Red Malboro = Orange Scopian F1
In-breed the F1 = F2 thats what on the pic.
Jimmy.

Northwestcoastdisc
07-08-2005, 02:34 PM
nice post Jimmy !

What I was going to fix and improvement shape I would breed with San Merch with my Orange Scorpion. right now I don't have any this time.

Duncan