PDA

View Full Version : Need some foster parenting advice.

kaceyo
07-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I've got a pair of S.Erupt X Spotted Turq pair that is eating eggs. They are basicly new to the breeding process so there is hope but I'd like to get some fry now rather than wait for them to get it right if possible. I also have a pair of yellows that has raised two spawns so far. So if I were to put the same type of spawning cone in with each pair so the parents wouldn't see an obvious difference and get eggs on each at the same time could I just pull the spotteds out of the breeding tank and put the yellows in to raise the others fry? Or would that be too big a change for the foster P's? Worth a try or would something else give me a better chance of success?
Thanx,

Kacey

Or, now that I think about it, do the spawning cones even need to be the same kind?

JimmyL
07-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Differeent type of spawning cone does not change the parental instinct of the spawning pair. Just replace the eggs and cage them. They will guard and tend the eggs as their own as long as there is no point of reference to the foster pair. Such as different size or color of fries. As long as you make a 100% switch. The foster pair will take care of them as their own. Do not mix 2 brood together. The larger and older fries will kill or damage the smaller brood. Those buggers are vicious. They will get hold of the younger fry and wrestle them to the ground and will not let go. Switch eggs not the pair. A short time out of the water do not kill the eggs. Make sure you cage the eggs.
Jimmy

Carol_Roberts
07-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Jimmy is right - don't pull the pair out of the tank - just switch cones.