PDA

View Full Version : Is it length of tank or volume of tank?

traco
07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Is it better for discus tanks to have the length longer, or the height taller? For instance, a 110 gallon is 48 long, 18 deep and 30 high. 90 gallon is 48 x 18 x 24. I can only go 48 long and 18 deep but wanted to know about the height. So doing my homework before purchasing. :)

Thanks all.

Barb

DarkDiscus
07-11-2005, 02:49 PM
If you're stuck with a set footprint of the tank - 48x18 for example, get the most volume you can. The 110 gallon is better than the 90 gallon.

However if you had more room and could go with a 60x18 tank which was much shorter and was, say, 85 gallons of volume, I'd go with the larger base over total volume.

John

Carol_Roberts
07-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I agree with John :)

BigDaddy
07-11-2005, 03:22 PM
A word of caution:

30 inch tall tanks are an ENORMOUS pain in the butt to maintain. I'm 6'4 and a 24 inch tank is a pain to reach the bottom of... just imagine adding another 6 inches!

PS - Maybe the question should be, are discus like other cichlids... do they need footprint space or just space. i.e. a couple of rams in a 25 gallon would be equally as happy in a 15 gallon, both are 24 x 12 inch tanks, and that's all the rams care about.

DarkDiscus
07-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I have a 3 foot ladder that I use every day to clean my 180 gallon which is 3 feet tall. That way I can reach the bottom for cleaning and siphoning. Without the ladder it would definitely be a lot harder!

John

ShinShin
07-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Discus are more comfortable with a greater depth from front to back. The extra height in this case is almost wasted space since the six inches difference is of little consequence to the discus. You gain some gallonage but an added maintenance problem that may not be worth the trouble. I would opt for the less tall tank myself unless your plan is to house many juveniles for growouts of breeders.

traco
07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks, everyone. I didn't even think about 30" high and a pain to get inside to clean. I can't go any bigger with width either so guess a 90 gallon will be the one. But at least I got that question out before I puchased a tank :)

RyanH
07-11-2005, 05:37 PM
I use a 24" Python tube on my 150 gallon tank and on a 45 tall that I have on top of a tank rack. I'm a bit "vertically challenged" :p and sometimes have trouble reaching the bottoms of deep tanks, particularly if they are on the top of one of my tank racks.

The longer Python gravel tubes have come in really handy for me when doing maintenence. They are sold in several different lengths.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19107;category_id=3373

hth :)
-Ryan

fatcat777
07-11-2005, 07:45 PM
I agree, i have a 180 gallon tank as well. wiping the back wall of the glass all the way to the bottom is hard work. if you plan on using the tank to grow out with then good luck wiping down the glass and bottom every week. I'm also short 5'7" so i'd go with a 90 at the most. just my opinion. :)

jason

traco
07-11-2005, 08:02 PM
And that is why this forum is so great :D Numbers look good on paper but it's nice to get some "hands on" perspectives. Thanks all for your insights. Appreciated.

Barb

Cosmo
07-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Hey John,

I have a little 3ft ladder too to clean my 180 lol At first it used to spook the fish whenever I took it out, but now they're so used to it they just sit and watch.. The longer gravel tubes are a godsend, but they're other utensils to consider too... like scrapers, nets etc. The deeper the tank, the more of a pain it is to clean. I have a 24in Kent Pro (whooa a pro dude lol) scraper for the bottom, wish I would've gotten a 36 :( And reaching the back... jeez, I'm on the third step and bent over the tank LOL Must be quite a site from the back LOL

Back to the basic question though .. everyone is right, but the point I'd like to throw in is the bigger the footprint, the more surface area, the more surface area, the better the gas exchange. The better the gas exchange, the more stable the water and the healthier the fish :) If you're stuck with a 48in length, try and get a 24 wide by 24 deep.. you could probably find it in acrylic

JIm

BigDaddy
07-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Discus are more comfortable with a greater depth from front to back. The extra height in this case is almost wasted space since the six inches difference is of little consequence to the discus. You gain some gallonage but an added maintenance problem that may not be worth the trouble. I would opt for the less tall tank myself unless your plan is to house many juveniles for growouts of breeders.

Which now, (hehe), warrants the question:

Which tank would an equal number of sub-adults prefer:

1) 65 gallon - 48 x 12 x 26

or

2) 65 gallon - 36 x 18 x 24

So... all things being equal, would they prefer the extra depth the 3 foot tank offers or would they rather have 4 feet of space compared to 3 feet?

PS - Let's assume this would be for say 4 fish that are 2.5 inches each.

john2gs
07-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Which now, (hehe), warrants the question:

Which tank would an equal number of sub-adults prefer:

1) 65 gallon - 48 x 12 x 26

or

2) 65 gallon - 36 x 18 x 24

So... all things being equal, would they prefer the extra depth the 3 foot tank offers or would they rather have 4 feet of space compared to 3 feet?

PS - Let's assume this would be for say 4 fish that are 2.5 inches each.

I will go w/ choice # 2