PDA

View Full Version : Dark "bruising" on head

markwill
07-13-2005, 11:44 AM
My discus seem to be settling in well but there is one aspect that is somewhat concerning. They remain a little jumpy (only been in the tank 5 days, so I believe this is not unusual). When they do get spooked they dart around real quick and seem to completely lack any radar!!! In short, for one or two seconds they'll speed around the tank and if something is in the way (such as the side of the tank), well that's just tough!!! They are eating OK and seem to be coming out into the open more with each day, which is encouraging.

However, I have noticed that on at least two of them there is this strange "buff" coloration that runs from under the mouth, around it, between the eyes and onto the top of the head. On one, this extends (low not so dark) across it's back.

I wouldn't describe these as "spots". On the one where it extends along the back it's more like the "pigment" has been lost. However, on the head area it's really quite dark.

Is this is any way related to the fish hitting objects now and again - or could this be something more serious? The rest of the body (on each fish) looks very good (full color, fish swims with fins extended, etc, etc). Aside from this, I see no signs of any discomfort or stress.

Thoughts?

Mark

Carol_Roberts
07-13-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure what you are seeing . . .

markwill
07-13-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure what you are seeing . . .
I wish it were easier to explain :-)

Mark

markwill
07-13-2005, 11:14 PM
OK - a little more watching my discus and a little more reading here. And I'm wondering if what I am seeing is peppering (a new term to me as of tonight). I wouldn't necessarily describe what I am seeing as "spots" - but if I look REALLY closely perhaps these could be described as such (from an average viewing distance it just looks like a "smudge").

The explanations I am seeing throughout this site for peppering are generally poor water quality and stress. I have done a good number of water changes since I got my discus (3 out of 5 days, generally 25% or so) and all the tests look good. Its very fair to assume they are experiencing some stress, given their new home. They are beginning to come out into the open more but still prone to wild rushing back to a safe place when they detect certain movements. So, yes - the stress level might be an explanation.

The confusing bit for me is that I read that peppering is always there (on a fish that has it) but it can be more or less pronounced, depending on water quality and stress. However, I don't recall even the slightest hint of this when I first placed them in the tank. Could peppering go from pretty much undetectable (certainly unnoticed) to very obvious in just 5 days?

BTW, they are eating like crazy right now. Whn they don't get spooked, they are on the move all the time eating anything they can find. I assume this is "all good"...

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
07-14-2005, 04:51 PM
The black specks on this pigeon blood are pepper. Pepper is only found on pigeons which are usually yellow or orange in color and have no vertical stress bars. yes, they could show no pepper the first couple of days.

markwill
07-14-2005, 05:20 PM
The black specks on this pigeon blood are pepper. Pepper is only found on pigeons which are usually yellow or orange in color and have no vertical stress bars. yes, they could show no pepper the first couple of days.
Thank you. What I am seeing is more like that on the nose of the discus in the background in the picture you posted (kind of a "smudge" rather than spots) - I don't see the very distinct spots evident on the one in the foreground. But, assuming the one background also has peppering , yes I think that is what I am seeing. I am seeing this on a Tangerine and, to a lesser extent, on a Red Ribbon.

Thanks.

Mark

markwill
07-16-2005, 09:38 PM
So, is peppering generally considered "a bad thing"? I have to say that the advent of pretty strong peppering on my Tangerine has significantly reduced its "attractiveness". On that first day in the tank it had no peppering (that I noticed) and it was absolutely beautiful. Now there is some VERY strong peppering around the nose area and a good deal it down the flank. A discus is still a discus (a very attractive fish that I enjoy watching) - but I can't believe anyone would intentionally order such a fish if there is any way to avoid it.

This is probably a little nieve on my part, but is asking for a "non pigeon" all I need to do to ensure I don't get peppering (or at least reduce the likelihood).

My red ribbons have peppering too and they are also less attractive now.

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
07-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Only pigeons have peppering. The peppering has been significantly reduced in many pigeons now days. If you want fish that are yellow/gold/orange/reddish-orange . . . you are buying fish with pigeon genes and pepper is part of the package :)

markwill
07-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Only pigeons have peppering. The peppering has been significantly reduced in many pigeons now days. If you want fish that are yellow/gold/orange/reddish-orange . . . you are buying fish with pigeon genes and pepper is part of the package :)
Thanks, Carol - very helpful as ever. Frankly, I find the peppering somewhat distracting so I'm going to steer clear of pigeon's henceforth. Is there any unambigious way to tell what strains might exhibit this (for example, I have red ribbons that appear to have peppering)? I assume I can simple ask any (honest) breeder that I don't want pigeons.

Thanks again.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
07-17-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm sure you can just ask if the discus is pigeon based.