PDA

View Full Version : Are 2 sponges enough for a 30 gallon tank?

tpl*co
07-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm a filtration freek, I admit it. I have a 30 gallon tank that I'm going to use as a breeder. It has a hydro IV and a V in it and a aquaclear 110 (yeah, I know, lot's of current, wasn't expecting as much as it does! I was seeding it to put on a larger tank, then found out it was too big to fit within the clearance I had in back of the tank :() If I take the 110 off, do I need another hang on back (a less powerful one) or will the 2 sponges be enough? If I just use sponges, how often will I need to clean them with 2 adult discus (and hopefully babies! put in a cone and they are eyeing it like "hmmm, that's an idea! but I know I have too much current now with the aquaclear and just too paranoid to turn it off! LOL).

brewmaster15
07-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I just use one hydro 4 or hydro 5 in 29 gal breeders with 2 adult fish..I have also had 4 adults in that set up and the surface area of the sponge is more than adequate for bio filtration...under good aeration.

hth,
al

tpl*co
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks Al!

I'll turn off the HOB then so they can have some peace (and maybe some mood music, LOL). If the sponges are the only filters in the tank, how often should I squeeze them out?

brewmaster15
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Its going to depend on how much water you plan on changing, how much food you feed and the kind, and if there are fry in the tank. :)

-al