PDA

View Full Version : Will a taller cone help?

Evan
07-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I have a pair that has been spawning often. They have been moved off by themselves. (Mostly because they were very aggressive to the other discus)

When they spawn under 50% are fertilized. Right now I am using a small clay pot, the eggs are close together but spread more horizontally because of the size of the pot.

If I were to get a taller pot or breeding cone would this help any with the fertilization rate, or should I just fire the male.

The female is very attentive to the eggs and removes the unfertilized ones, the male is kind of lazy he does his thing and then waits to be fed....

thanks

Discusgeo2
07-22-2005, 03:45 PM
It wouldn't hurt to put a larger pot in there to see if the male is a little more accurate.

billeagan
07-22-2005, 06:53 PM
I have several different cones from PVC to clay.

If I'm not having luck with one I'll switch it out. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something...

Barb Newell
07-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi Evan!!! Congratulations on the pair.

Is the pair young? If he is, he will get better each time he spawns and she'll get better at grouping her eggs.

I'd definitely try something taller, my male green has a heck of a time trying to spawn on a short pot. I got a few of those spawning cones (Jason @ SuperiorDiscus had/has them in Canada), and I am getting better hatches. Also, be sure that the tank is spotless, sponges rinsed, sides wiped down, no nasties (copepods) in there, huge w/c before they spawn, make sure that you sterilize whatever they are spawning on just before they spawn. I take it out, run it under boiling water, scrub then return to the tank.

I don't know if meth blue and formalin help, what I find, if the eggs are fertilized, they hatch. With experienced pairs, I don't bother adding the blue or formalin.

Barb

billeagan
07-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Here are the plastic ones that I'm using. They are the tallest that I have seen.

Its 10 inches tall.

Evan
07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
thanks everyone.

The pair is about 1 year four months.

They have been spawning for a while, I moved them by themselves because they were attacking the other fish all the time.

The Male is real mean, he likes me though. (he knows who makes the food)

I have been wiping the tank everyday, except when there is a spawn, should I wipe it down when they have eggs?

I will try a larger surface or a cone.

Here is a pick of the female, the male looks the same.

billeagan
07-24-2005, 09:51 PM
great looking fish. I would try something a little taller.. YOu can always do the home made PVC type.

Maybe a tall cone with less area will help.

CliffsDiscus
07-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Evan

If you need a taller cone, stack your cone over a 3 or 4 inch terra cotta pot,
this should bring the hight up another 2 inches.

Cliff

Evan
08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
I found the problem. The male is no good. His primary interest is food.

I ended up having to move my tanks around, fish were mixed in a tank with a couple potted plants. Day one she has a new man and they are cleaning off the pot. Almost all of the eggs are good and should go free swimming any time now, just intime to be eaten by the many other residents of the tank.

Unfortunatly the new man is a Blue SS, I would not think this is a good match.

Her previous male seems to have taken a liking to the runt of the tank. Talk about being on the rebound. :thumbsdow

As of today there were three sets of eggs in the tank. At least I know they were not too upset by the move. :)

drayman86
08-17-2005, 04:24 AM
If you need a taller cone, stack your cone over a 3 or 4 inch terra cotta pot,
this should bring the hight up another 2 inches.

Cliff

See, there's a reason this is about THE best discus site on-line: the stacking of the pots is supurb idea to increase height of breeding cone. I've been messing around with this cobbled-up 5" dia PVC pipe; attempted to fill w/ gravel to overcome the bouancy. (Heavy w/gravel & worried about dropping & cracking tank bottom.)